Mohair hood shrinkage

Hi, Register users. This may seem like a foolish question, and so probably is.

I recently bought a hood bag from Don Trimming as my TR6 came without one 2 years ago. Being a fair weather driver, the hood itself hasn't been up for over a year. Having replaced some rusted male popper studs on the rear retainer bar. When that job was complete, I raised the hood to check it. I was somewhat surprised that the front catches were about an inch short of reaching the top of the windscreen, and, although 3 of the poppers up to the rear B post connected, on the other side the fabric was again about an inch away from reaching the male studs.

Has anyone else experienced this? Have I done something wrong, other than not raising the hood often enough. And is it possible to stretch it to fit again?

Thanking you in advance for any advice and assistance you may be able to offe

I have a Mohair hood and it’s always a bit of a stretch but not difficult. During the winter months I do have the roof up in the garage and when I go out.

Hi John, I wouldn’t worry too much.  I have the same roof, from the same supplier. Leave it up, with everything tight and it will soon stretch out. I have to push at the header rail to get the levers located and then pull down on the poppers, but it is getting easier.  You find the same with the cover, the last couple are a real stretch, but again, with use it will get better. Better that than slack and ‘billowy’ (technical term).

Edited by Sill Gap Problem

Leave it in the sun for a few hours and it should be easier to stretch it more and engage the pins.

I was told to never leave it too long with the hood down to avoid this problem.