tr 2 / 3 door hinges

Has anyone tried to fit the new pins to the brass hinges ?

If so easy hard.  did it work ?  or shall i go for the new moss ones.

Roy

Simple  if you have an adjustable reamer.  You need to get the old pins out first and measure the holes for the pins. I used suitable sized silver steel for the pins and reamed the leaves accordingly.  I also added a shim to remove the axial play of the leaves on the pin (up/down movement)

I posted about the task recently. 

cheers

Peter W

PS    I recently re-pinned a set of all steel TR3A hinges which were far more difficult than the brass ones.  They required a lot of bench work and hand fitting to get them just right.

The pins had seized solid in the tubes so needed the 'hot spanner' to get them to bits.  The wear in the outer leaf, where the pin had rotated required the pin diameter to go up by almost 1mm  (from 5/16" to 8.5mm)  I fitted a greaser to the hinge tubes so they could be lubricated in service, but that meant I needed an oil spiral groove in the surface of the pins.... I cut a round form thread 4 tpi @ 0.020" deep.  The end of each pin also needed a spline raising to get it to lock in the outer leaf flange. Now that was a slow job like reaming the hinge holes to get a running fit of the pin in the tube and a push fit in the outer leaf flanges.   The pin used was 8.5mm diameter silver steel (tool steel)

Photos of process and tools

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2182.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

These are my hinges and Peter has made a first class refurb. I am now trial fitting today while I wait for delivery of an aerosol of body colour. It is unusual to have the spare time and no TR meetings.  It does not matter when I finish the maintenance. The list seems to get longer and I enjoy the time in the sun. Richard & B