TR 250 Carburettors

Please can anyone advise how you remove the needles from the air valve on the Stromberg CD175-2 fitted to my car . I have undone the grub screw but there is no allen key plug inside the air valve to loosen the needle it appears to be sealed.

Regards 250

If manuals don't instruct ( I haven't checked ) I suggest you dip the air valve in boiling water, holding same by the needle upside down so its base isn't immersed - this may free up the assembly.

Are you using a different cam? If not, the original needle is right for the mixture and normally doesn't warrant changing.

If manuals don't instruct ( I haven't checked ) I suggest you dip the air valve in boiling water, holding same by the needle upside down so its base isn't immersed - this may free up the assembly.

Are you using a different cam? If not, the original needle is right for the mixture and normally doesn't warrant changing.

Thanks Tom I'll try that the reason I asked was that on the carbs for the tr6 there is a brass screw inside the air vavle which the manual says you have to turn anti clockwise to release the needle.

I'm replaceing them because the old ones are worn.

Regards 250.

If memory serves, the TR250 carbs did not have the adjusment screw feature had by the later carbs. <_<

I'M COMING TO THAT CONCLUSION MYSELF THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR INPUT.

Thats correct. Heres a link to an article on how to make them adjustable: http://web.archive.org/web/20020911154940/...e/AdjNeedle.htm

I am going to convert my car to the older Cd-175s as used on the TR4. They have adjustable jets and no by-pass valves and other nonsense.

IMO the emission carbs are quite good for the standard engine, giving reliability and optimum mixture. If you do change to TR4 carbs beware the linkage which is at one end and winds up slightly from one to the next. I always felt the center type linkage on 250s onward made for better longevity.

It happens that I have a concourse set of modified TR250 carbs which have adjustable jets ( from the bottom like earlier Strombergs ) which I replaced with concourse original non-adjustables. I will part with them for the right price. B)

I don't run either of these anymore, having become a devotee of Weber DCOEs. :rolleyes: