I can’t coax my 6 into life.

Hi all

I can’t coax my 6 into life.

So after rebuilding most of it I’ve come to the first start in many a year and it sort of won’t.

Pretty much everything has been changed or refurbed so either I’ve got something wrong or I’m stupid (this latter one is high on the list of suspects, lol)

I have fuel being supplied by a newly refurbed (everything) Pi system and it all seems to be getting to the right places and the starter turns the engine over pretty energetically.

The main issue seems to be no spark at the plugs, so no attempt to fire. I’ve used one of those In-Line Ignition/HT Lead Spark Plug testers and get no flashes indicating a spark as I try to start. So I’ve gone through the IGN system step by step.

The battery is new and pushes out 12.5V (diff to tell exactly as it an analogue multi-meter.) I’m getting that at the coil input and output terminals so the (new) coil seems ok and that current is delivered from the coil to the distributor end of the B&W LT lead, so no breaks in that.

But that’s when it seems to fall apart. As soon as I connect that LT lead to the distributor connection I get a zero reading regardless of the position of the points. I would expect to see 12.5V when the points are open but zero when they’re closed as closing the points earths the system. But I get a zero reading all of the time so no on off sequence controlled by the points, which is what I expect, but I may well be wrong.

But given my current vague understanding of old (ie non electronic IGN systems) I don’t know what to check next.

So if anyone can correct any of my misconceptions or advise on what to try next I would be grateful..

Cheers

Keith

Perhaps check that the points have been fitted correctly?  If you get the position of the insulating washers mixed up the moving contact of the points can be permanently earthed. 

Hi Keith,

it could well be that the wire to the points is connected to ground. If you open the points (do they?) you should have your 12.5V there. If not (was seems to be the case), disconnect the wire from the points, and also from the condensor, which can also be the culprit.

there are insulating rings bottom and top of the threaded stud between the wire to the points to avoid direct connection to ground.

Waldi

Edit: almost a copy of Rob abd Vince, so you know where to look first:)

Edited by Waldi

Hi Guy's

Thanks for that at least it looks like I’m expecting the right things and it also that it looks like the dizzy is permanently earthed in some way.

The points are new and the insulation is a single moulded white insulator, but I do have the old ones licking about so I’ll have a look at the insulation and see how that’s set up and have a play.

Cheers

Keith