Tr4a front suspension pivoting resistance

Folks, I’ve begun disassembly of the front suspension in preparation for having the strengthening plates welded in. I pulled shocks and disconnected the outer tie rods (I’m waiting for delivery of the spring compressor to do more).

Anyway while examining the components, I pivoted the hub/vertical link assemblies and found that while both sides took more effort than I was expecting, the right hand side assembly was harder to pivot than the left hand side (I’ve always felt that the steering was a bit stiff, but thought it was from the tires). To compare, I attached an old pull-scale on each side, at the tie rod mounting hole, and pulled perpendicular to the car. The right side took ~35 pounds before it started to move, and the left side took ~50lbs to move. I don’t know if the scale is accurate, but it does show a disparity. 

So should it take that much effort to pivot those assemblies, and if so, which side which side seemed more correct?

thanks

Jim

Hi Jim

I assume that you have the lower bump stops removed and the suspension on full droop. 

The top ball joints can bind up in that situation as they are close to maximum articulation when at full droop and the stops are present. 

I suggest  jacking the spring pans up a bit and try again.