TR6 Uprated heter fan motor

There are several firms selling uprated heater motors with a modern fan instead of the propeller type for the TR6. Has anyone found a suitable unit that will fit that could be obtained from a breakers yard or sourced easily ?

Mark

The heater on the 6 should be pretty efficient so unless the matrix is blocked or the heater motor is knackered & you can’t source another one, I see little point I going to the expense & trouble of fitting a modern, after market unit.

Check the haeter valve on top of the engine is working properly &, if you have an earlier car fitted with the vent flap on top of the scuttle, remember this has to be open for the heater/fresh air vent system to work effectively!

I agree - the heater is pretty efficient, if not as finely adjustable as the air-blend system on modern cars. It does tend to be either fully on or off!

Other things to check are the inside flap above the transmission tunnel. Mine had been badly adjusted and only opened about half way. Maybe worth flushing the matrix through to get any crud out? I'm also told that the metal 'return' pipe is prone to getting blocked.

I've added a metal deflector below the heater outlet as I found the heater does a good job of cooking the tunnel. I've also added a seal around the flap to maximize the air flow up to the screen, both have been very effective.

I agree - the heater is pretty efficient, if not as finely adjustable as the air-blend system on modern cars. It does tend to be either fully on or off!

Other things to check are the inside flap above the transmission tunnel. Mine had been badly adjusted and only opened about half way. Maybe worth flushing the matrix through to get any crud out? I'm also told that the metal 'return' pipe is prone to getting blocked.

Thanks for those ideas ! My heater motor does seem to run slow and maybe does need replacing that why I was thinking about changing it for one with a centrifugal type fan to give more air flow. There must be one that would fit - old type mini ? land rover etc. Its cold up North you Know !

I've posted similar questions the issue of heaters myself, but never really got that far.

The old landrover (S1 110) parts are broadly interchangable, but i never pursued this as there seemed little reason to think they are radically better.

Have you checked how hot the core itself gets? Despite flushing mine only gets moderately hot, whilst the inlet/outlet valve gets scalding. I guess this suggests the core is blocked.

My fan is also fairly knackered, making a screaming noise on startup which leads me to believe that a bearing has degenerated.

I keep meaning to properly address all this, but on short journeys my sheepskin means im not too aware of the cold. It is only on long journeys where sensation in my feet ceases that i start making resolutions to do something about it.

Might try and have a look at this again over easter, when i once again gut the car the get to the gearbox.......

I find the standard heater to be pretty reasonable - however, I found in my old TR4 tha the demister on the driver's side did not function as well as on the passenger side (was it to do with it originally being a LHD? :blink: ) This was rectified by removing the metal plate with the elongated tapered slot sandwiched between the dash top and the plastic vent piping/diffusser underneath the dash.