TR7 With No Identity Plates

Hi, I am open to any ideas with this one.

I have a 1980 TR7 FHC that has no VIN/Chassis plates that I can find. Car has a registration plate, and was purchased as a restoration project, from a legitimate source.

Nothing on the doors, suspension turret, right side boot drainage channel.

Previous owner lost the V5C a long time ago. To apply for a new V5C in my name surely I need to quote the chassis number ??

Any ideas, cheers, Karl. :unsure:

Karl

Long time since i've done it so the rules might have changed, but it used to be such that you simply applied for a V5 using the reg number. the V5 you get back will fill in the blanks. You will have to rivet a plate to the car showing the VIN number for an MOT of course.

Andy

Although you might not be able to see the number in the boot rain gutter try feeling underneath as the chances are it's been painted over. The other alternative is possibly to trace via the body number - small plate on the inside engine edge of the front headlamp panel. Last chance would be for the previous owner to apply for all records for that car - used to cost about a fiver.

Hope that helps

Richard

Hi, I am open to any ideas with this one.

I have a 1980 TR7 FHC that has no VIN/Chassis plates that I can find. Car has a registration plate, and was purchased as a restoration project, from a legitimate source.

Nothing on the doors, suspension turret, right side boot drainage channel.

Previous owner lost the V5C a long time ago. To apply for a new V5C in my name surely I need to quote the chassis number ??

Any ideas, cheers, Karl. :unsure:

Thanks for the help, might try to scrape some paint from the boot rain channel tonight to see if any trace of a number.

The body number is missing from the front panel as the previous owner fitted a new front, and forgot to take the plate off the old one. Will let you know how I get on,

Thanks again,

Karl.

Andrew, the difference is your car is a convertible, not introduced till spring 1980 so fresh stock ie manufactured in 1980, the car in question is a fixed head and most of the FHCs(but not all) refgistered in 1980 were actually manufactured in 1979 as they were slow selling. It is not possible to get copies of previous log books from the DVLA unless you are the registered keeper which is impossible until you transfer ownership and apply for a new logbook!!! catch 22

Hi Karl, it's got to be worth a letter to DVLA at Swansea for starters, stating the make, model and Vehicle Registration Mark and that you are the new owner and registered keeper and asking for V5C. They can only say no, but may just send you one.

Apply for the V5.

Put NOT KNOWN where you have to fill in the chassis number, if the DVLA think there is something to doubt with your application they will then contact the last recorded keeper.

If they dont claim ownership in the DVLA notice period (usually 28 days) you will get the new V5 complete with the chassis number.

• 3 weeks later...
Apply for the V5.

Put NOT KNOWN where you have to fill in the chassis number, if the DVLA think there is something to doubt with your application they will then contact the last recorded keeper.

If they dont claim ownership in the DVLA notice period (usually 28 days) you will get the new V5 complete with the chassis number.

I did exactly that, and got a new V5 with chassis number printed on.