To Lead, weld or both

I've got hold of a good TR4a boot and already had a reasonable TR4a bonnet, challenge is I need them for a TR5! so will I get away with filling the extra holes simply with lead, or should I weld them up ?

I've seen a 'process' where you hold a copper bar on the outside face of the panel and weld it from behind, but what I've not seen is the finished result ....is it smooth enough to finish with some 'stopper' or would I need to lead the face of the panel anyway.

Also could anybody advise what the largest hole you would recommend welding/leading without making a repair patch as despite me saying the boot is good what I didn't notice before I bought it (Doh!) was that at some point it had had a boot rack fitted and so i have an additional 4 holes 1/4-5/16ths of an inch that need attention.

I would carefully solder up the lettering/badge holes with a small pencil type gas torch and some fluxed solder, use a small dab of solder paint on first to tin the holes. Dont forget the holes in the under frame for the TR5 badge are different to the TR4a ones.. I have welded and or soldered up boot rack holes, it depends on how confident/good you are at welding but you do need a helper with a wet rag to prevent any distortion.

Stuart.

I would carefully solder up the lettering/badge holes with a small pencil type gas torch and some fluxed solder, use a small dab of solder paint on first to tin the holes. Dont forget the holes in the under frame for the TR5 badge are different to the TR4a ones.. I have welded and or soldered up boot rack holes, it depends on how confident/good you are at welding but you do need a helper with a wet rag to prevent any distortion.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart