V8 Carbs..info please.

I am swapping my Range Rover Strombergs carbs for a set of HIF SU's. The SU's are fitted to an SD1 inlet manifold.

I am having trouble establishing what breather pipes I need to purchase to fit the carbs. The engine (3.5) is an older one, probably 1970's, so it must be pretty straight forward. The carbs I bought were reconditioned and did not come with any pipes or hoses attached.

I have contacted Rimmers, Moss and my local dealer but without any luck.

Can anyone suggest what I need, or where I can find this information?

As always, any help is much appreciated.

Regards, Alan.

Allan

Contact S@S Preparations on 01706 874874 - they can give you chapter and verse. As I remember from my Su's - I changed to a Holley 390 after flooding problems with the HIF's - there was one breather per carb, and in my case they were venting petrol at an alarming rate most of the time! :o

Mike

Many thanks Mike and John.

I have downloaded John's pictures as a reference point. The only problem I can see is that I have the old type rocker covers fitted (the ones with the curved ends) so I'm not sure if the breather pipes that can be order from Rimmers will fit.

Any suggestions about the older set-up?

Thanks, Alan.

I used to run the older P6 style rocker covers, cos i think they look nicer. Each one of those has a 1/2" breather pipe. All you need to do is plumb one into each breather on the SU's. Make sure you use a flame trap though, available from Rimmers, S&S etc. otherwise a back fire when hot cranking can cause your valley gasket to inflate & rupture when the engine backfires during a hot start, a bit scary until i realised what had happened. You should be able to get oil resistant hose from anay factor, preferably with some bends

Andy

Hi Andy,

Are you saying that my current RR breather pipes from the Stromborgs will fit the the new SU's? I am keeping the older rocker covers (Yes, because I like them better as well!) so maybe that is the answer???

I have tried offering up the new manifold and carbs but it's difficult to tell if they will be compatible.

Regards, Alan.

Well for exact detail i am not sure, but the actual requirement is pretty simple, i would definitely recommend one breather per bank though.

As i said before make sure you have flame traps in there though.

Andy.