Long door TR2 hood support bracket

My project long door TR2 is missing the bracket that attaches to the front apron for the hood support.
Anybody have one I could buy, or can post some photos showing the item and how it is bolted to to the apron I will get one made.
Thank you

Here you go John this from TS 2 and others

Stuart.

attachicon.gifTS2 003.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3928.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2485.jpg

attachicon.gif050bonnetrelcable.jpg

Excellent. I have been looking for something similar to the short door TR2 bracket. Now I know what I am looking for I will go through the boxes of stuff again.

It looks beyond me to make one so if I can't get a 2nd hand one it looks like a job for a tradesman.

I see two routes for the bonnet release cable that goes across to the opposite side of the car. One is pretty straight and goes under the radiator extension and top radiator hose, the other appears to go in a curve towards the radiator. Mine is currently the former, anybody know which is correct or did it change during the production run? My car is TS3732O.

Edited by John McCormack

The cross cable needs to be very carefully adjusted as the reason that the internal locks were deleted was their propensity to only work on the right hand one and not pull the left one, hence why a lot of people fit a second pull down the left side. The run is different in the pictures as some have been replaced with different length cables I would imagine.

FWIW if the left catch failed then the only way to get the bonnet open was to remove the left hand headlight bowl to gain access.

The bracket is only 18SWG so would be pretty easy to make I would have thought.

Stuart.

The cross cable needs to be very carefully adjusted as the reason that the internal locks were deleted was their propensity to only work on the right hand one and not pull the left one, hence why a lot of people fit a second pull down the left side. The run is different in the pictures as some have been replaced with different length cables I would imagine.

FWIW if the left catch failed then the only way to get the bonnet open was to remove the left hand headlight bowl to gain access.

The bracket is only 18SWG so would be pretty easy to make I would have thought.

Stuart.

Thanks again Stuart. I have just made a pattern on paper which is pretty close. I can make a few out of cardboard until I get the right shape.

I just went out to the car and removed the left hand head light. I couldn't grab the mechanism but I can reach the cross cable and, while I didn't try it, I could pull it down which should release the bonnet on that side if needed.

I was interested in these photos of the early TR2 engine bay. While I have a short door TR2 which I have owned since 1976 that I can use as a comparison, I am not sure of the originality of its engine bay details nor what changes were made when they changed from long to short door.

If you have any shots that you know, or reasonably believe, are of original engine bays I would really appreciate it if you could post them, or send them to me by message.

Thanks again Stuart. I have just made a pattern on paper which is pretty close. I can make a few out of cardboard until I get the right shape.

I just went out to the car and removed the left hand head light. I couldn't grab the mechanism but I can reach the cross cable and, while I didn't try it, I could pull it down which should release the bonnet on that side if needed.

I was interested in these photos of the early TR2 engine bay. While I have a short door TR2 which I have owned since 1976 that I can use as a comparison, I am not sure of the originality of its engine bay details nor what changes were made when they changed from long to short door.

If you have any shots that you know, or reasonably believe, are of original engine bays I would really appreciate it if you could post them, or send them to me by message.

PM me your email John I dont have many of original bays but have some concours ones as well.

Stuart.

Hi John

My bonnet had been replaced with a later dzus fastener one. I was lucky enough to find an earlier bonnet with interior catch parts, and separately the catch plates (like rocking horse pooh even a few years back). The bonnet support bracket is fairly simple to make, and if you need it I can send you a pattern.

Regarding opening the bonnet should the cable fail, I drilled a small hole in each of the inner wings so that you can insert a screwdriver to open the catch.

Once again I can send pictures and placement details, the holes are filled with a suitable grommet.

John