Hi Kev,

Oh dear I was sorry to read this thread. Have seen your various previous issues with gearbox, diff, etc... I do think you've had a bad run of luck.

I concur with others, definitely something amiss to have 1.5litres water gone. What a pain!!

Not been able to review pics in detail (as just on phone), but anecdotely it does seem odd that the gasket was too easy to remove. Also, how tight did the headbolts 'feel' when you pulled it apart? I have known some heads become loose (not on TRs) before.

If easy to get head pressure tested while it's off I'd be tempted as no obvious fault has really come to light.

Also,can i please ask... At rebuild 5 years ago did you do a head retorque after a few runs?

Good luck with this next challenge.

Cheers J.

Hi James, yes I re torqued the head. I am getting everything thing as clean as possible at the moment. Just waiting for a couple of parts and I will bung it all back together and this time give it a very good heat cycle.

Many Thanks for your reply.

All the best.

Edited by Kevo_6

h kevo

what a bastard,

well not all will agree with me on this,

if you had problems with fueling the system, to much air, would cause to much heat, hay ho,problem,

when putting these gaskets down I always put a very thin layer of silicon down , I really rate it.

I recon it feels all the small divots, I torque the head down bar a few pound and then after 12 hours

when the silicon has gone of, re do with the right amount, I keep it away from all the internal edges

and it has to be thin

I no people will po po what I do however it works for me, I use it on all mating surfaces

stay positive kev, still lucky in love is the main thing

pink x

h kevo

what a bastard,

well not all will agree with me on this,

if you had problems with fueling the system, to much air, would cause to much heat, hay ho,problem,

when putting these gaskets down I always put a very thin layer of silicon down , I really rate it.

I recon it feels all the small divots, I torque the head down bar a few pound and then after 12 hours

when the silicon has gone of, re do with the right amount, I keep it away from all the internal edges

and it has to be thin

I no people will po po what I do however it works for me, I use it on all mating surfaces

stay positive kev, still lucky in love is the main thing

pink x

Thanks Pink, I will bare it in mind.

I’m staying positive mate, these things are sent to TRy us!

Hi Kevo, how's the gasket rebuild going? Smoothly I hope... Any news? Cheers J.

Hi James

I've not got it back together yet as the parts i ordered did not arrive until the end of last week and I was away at the weekend as my oldest son got engaged. :)

I will be sorting it all out this week and i will let you know how it all went.

Hi Kevo, ah ok. Congrats' on the family news (which of course always takes precedence, quite correctly!). Good luck this coming week for the reassembly...

Cheers J.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

An update:- Everything is all buttoned up and I went for a good hour drive yesterday afternoon. All fluids seem so far to be staying where they should and I got her really hot yesterday.

While the head was off I thought it would be a good idea to fit oilite bush’s to the throttle linkage, vast improvement.

I also thought it would good to replace the bulkhead heater connector and the cabin heater hoses, what an absolute PITA but worth doing as the bulkhead connector was almost rusted through and the hose were quite perished and brittle.

Anyway fingers crossed and hope l can have some trouble free motoring for a change. (There it is, I’ve gone and said TRouble free. Bu@@er)

Thanks once again for all of your help and words of encouragement and a special thanks to the guys that PM’d me.

Hi, sounds like a great job done Kevo. Fingers crossed for trouble free summer motoring now...!

Cheers J.

Thanks James, let’s hope so.

I did go fo a hour an a half run yesterday in 25 degrees and all looks good, keep your fingers crossed.

Hi Roger

Hope you and Suzanne had a great time in France.

Yes your times are about right and I avoid the New Forest like the plague this time of year, I went out in the sticks around Dorchester way.