Clutch Cross Shaft Spring

Im just putting a gearbox in and found that I have three different cross shafts.

The best one i think came from a TR6 as it has no retaining screw groove but is 6mm shorter in the lever side so there is no room for a spring.

Did later models run with no spring? The Moss parts list seems to imply that all models should have a spring.

Hi Andrew,

with the advent of the diaphragm clutch plate the spring was removed and the slave simply took up the increasing gap from wear etc.

With the spring the gap would get at the adjuster rod would get bigger and require occasional adjustment.

Having said that I use a spring on my 4A

Surely you can attach a return spring to where the clevis pin goes through for the slave rod.

Not sure which shaft I have but I do not use the locating screw and allow the shaft to find its own centre - keeps the release bearing happy.

Roger

In the interest of completeness and for the benefit of future searchers I can now answer my own question:

While clearing up the garage (after fitting the gearbox- doh!) I found another different style of spring. Unlike the other parallel spring which when coil bound was around 6mm high the newly found spring was wound in a conical shape and when compressed the coils sat inside each other making the minimum height only the gauge of the wire and an ideal fit in the 3mm gap between the gearbox case and the shorter cross shaft lever. It would cause the operating fork to exert a side load on the release bearing carrier as Berry points out preventing rattles and probably reducing the rotation of the carrier on the gearbox nose.

Someone at Triumph must have decided that they needed an extra few mm clearance for some reason and probably made the change when they gained a bit more by losing the grease nipples seen on the early versions.

I guess that this is the sort of thing happens when you are picking the best bits from a few different boxes trying to make the best assembly from what is available. As is often the case experience is gained just a bit too late and as I have no intention of taking the box out again to fit the spring I'll let you know if it causes a problem.\

Every days' a school day :rolleyes:

post-2177-0-14313400-1518894853_thumb.jpg