Maybe I should get another garage to check over the brakes. The thing is, as I said, the car's all original and has only done 20k miles from new so it's entirely possible that all components of the braking system (except the fluid!) are original. I've put new tyres on it - but the spare's still the original and looks like new but I'd guess it would be pretty unsafe. Fortunately the MOT never checks this. :)

I still can't believe that it would ever match that of a modern sports car, no matter how well it's fettled. My daily driver is a 718 Cayman and the braking is quite astonishing. I was recently driving along at about 60mph when a big old Alsation dog suddenly walked out from behind a car parked in a lay-by. I stood on the brakes - something I have never done before because they're pretty heavily servoed - and it pulled up dead straight and a few yards short of the dog - which just carried on walking across the road stopping all traffic. I have absolutely no idea how it managed to stop in what seemed like 20 yards, although I guess it must have been a bit more. No '60s sports car would have managed that even with a racing driver behind the wheel.