Will tr4a front springs fit a 3a

Hi

I understand rimmer uprated springs 213265ur are for the 4a through to the 6 ?

https://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-213165UR

Moss show TT4102pr are for the TR2-4 AND TR4a.

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/road-spring-set-front-race-uprated-420lbs-lowered-silicon-chrome-pair-tt4102pr.html

Suggesting the springs are interchangeable across the range?

Thus will the 213165ur fit my 3a as I may be able to get a pair cheap.

The seller says they are 40cm which seem way to long ?

Help and advice needed

Ta

Yes the 213165UR will fit but are different height to the standard springs when fitted.

What are you trying to achieve?

Lower the car?

Harden the front suspension?

Or both.

Triumph Tune data I have says fitted standard front spring (201898) was 6.75" long plus the top spacer. rate 290 ins/lb

The standard TR4 front spring (210903) without spacer is 8.75" long when fitted (remember no fitted spacer) rate 310 ins/lb ...... Does this mean a spacer is 2" thick - we would need to measure one.

TT4102 are hard and low when fitted Fitted length 6.20", rate 420 ins lbs. (which looks a lot like the 213165UR from Rimmers if the 1" lower means the chassis to road height after fitting.)

Brother's Sprint/Hillclimb TR2 runs TT4001 with a bit machined off the spacers to get ground clearance to meet the rules.

What about fitting the lower wishbones upside down to lower the car, without reducing suspension travel.? Drops the car about an inch without loosing suspension travel. I have never done it, but am sure someone has.

Have you done the Revington anti bump steer, steering lever mod? If not, think about it before messing with springs and ride heights. The camber change and bump steer through suspension movement on a standard car is quite large. It is a kit that really works.

Will you be lowering the rear also?

Peter W

Hi Peter.

Me again doing things on the cheap.

I'm looking to firm up the front. Not sure about lowering but can't hurt.

I was confused about the interchangeability (is that a word?) between models given what the suppliers say ?!? And that the chap selling the springs 213165ur says they are 40cm that's nearly 16" !!!!!

I have the revington steering arms (ackerman mod)

Spitfire 7/8" anti roll bar.

Planning on 3deg castor trunnions with tr4 shortened top wishbones and the square top ball joint.

I'm going for lots of camber !

Rear is firm with uprated springs

The front spring locating kit (the big washers!) are already on.

Was considering lowering rear via spacer between spring and axle. This gives more clearance axle to chassis when cornering.

And if I win the lottery an tran-x LSD

And 185/55x15 tarmac rally tyres.

Equivalent to a 4.1:1 diff

Hi Peter.

I was confused about the interchangeability (is that a word?) between models given what the suppliers say ?!? And that the chap selling the springs 213165ur says they are 40cm that's nearly 16" !!!!!

Planning on 3deg castor trunnions with tr4 shortened top wishbones and the square top ball joint.

Consider the adjustable top wishbone inner fulcrum kit from Revington or Moss. Then you have not destroyed a set of top wishbones and can go back to standard at a later date. You can then set the camber that suits you and your car best.

The tyres have lowered the car as a start off.

Peter W

Was considering lowering rear via spacer between spring and axle. This gives more clearance axle to chassis when cornering.

They are an already shortened and braced set of top wishbones. Source from someone who did this years ago and has since upgraded to the moss set on a rebuild. As they were happy with the shortened version I was going to try them out on the same basis.

The "skinny" tyres are "under consideration"

There are some awesome cars and drivers in the club sprint championship !!!!!!!

The front spring spacer is 2 inches high.

I have standard TR4 springs fitted to my 3a but without the spacer. They seem to work and the car is level although I admit I don't drive the wheels off it.

Rgds Ian

Hi Peter.

Hi Hamish,

Can you explain what is involved in fitting the Spitfire 7/8" anti-roll bar?

Regards, Colin

Hi Colin

I fitted the moss radiator guard

http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/radiator-guard-rally-type-301644.html

Their anti roll bar fittings polybushes clamps etc.

As the 7/8ths spitfire anti roll bar has a threaded end in the bar I used Alfa 164 drop links that attached to home made plates bolted to the front of the lower wish bones.

Cost me about £120 some may say it's a Heath Robinson approach and guess what they are right. But I'm doing all this on a budget and learning a lot along the way that you don't get with the ready made suspension kits out there. The roll bar was about £10 !!!

H

post-14544-0-27733700-1507653315_thumb.jpg

post-14544-0-21445200-1507653372_thumb.jpg

post-14544-0-70582600-1507653419_thumb.jpg

Hi Hamish,

Thanks for the info. I will look into it. I do have quite a lot of late Spitfire parts. I did fabricate my own radiator guard. I might do that again and copy the Moss one.

Regards, Colin

Thanks Hamish and Peter. I have downloaded the factory drawings and printed pages 63, 64 & 65.

Regards, Colin

Can we expect you to go into production?

Think about whether the front edge extends far enough forward to mount the roll bar to and it does not hit the bumper irons. - make a cardboard template.

Consider MG anti roll bar mount straps as they are cheaper than TR/Spit items and iff you choose to change to a smaller diameter bar all you do is change the bushes - NOT redrill the mounting plate.

Use BHH2000, x 2 mounting strap bracket + TMG30738SPK poly bushes (for 7/8" dia Spitfire AR bar) plus some 5/16" nuts and bolts.

MG got that bit right - change the bush not the mounting bracket.

link to bush range http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/front-anti-roll-bar-bushes-mountings.html

I made my links out of Rose joints and poly bushes, but I guess some racing rules will not allow them.

Peter W

Thanks for the information. I have no intention of going into production or of rallying or racing.

I just think that the bottom of the radiator is very vulnerable to flying stones etc. and since I am considering fitting a front anti-roll bar this type of guard could be suitable.

Regards, Colin