Lead replacement fuel additive

Its amost certianly iso-butane bubbling off in the tank. Iso-butane is a gas at room temerature and has 110RON so the octane will drop, as will the volume.

Yes rubbish. But modern engines simply retard the spark to kill knock so we dont see pistons getting destroyed through lack of RON.

Myself I'm going for water injection and 95RON, about 105RON combined.

BMW has developed a wi system recently.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/07/02/bmw-1-series-with-direct-water-injection-first-drive/

If that catches on the days of 'high octane' pump fuels wil be numbered.

Peter

Peter,

This is drifting off topic a bit but may be of interest to your project if you were not already aware.

Water Methanol Injection.

Rolls Royce Dart turbo prop engines ran it to augment take off power. Let's face it the Dart is just two Merlin centrifugal superchargers in axially config powered by a gas turbine The water meth was injected into the eye of the primary (low) compressor intake.

Reading mtl. https://www.2473atc.org.uk/trainingMaterial/Master/MASTER%20jet%20engine%20propulsion/CHAPTER%208%20NOTES.doc

Merlin and Griffon piston engines had it also as anti detonation additive. (ADI)

Interesting snippet about Griffon engine.

The Red Baron RB-51

Complying with the hot rodders premise, there ain't no replacement for displacement, the Red Baron racing team produced a race plane that, unfortunately never reached it's true potential.

Based on a successful racing P-51D Mustang, Ed Browning, owner of the Red Baron Racing team purchased the aircraft in 1973. At this stage considerable airframe modifications had already been performed including clipping the wings and a highly modified cockpit canopy. Still retaining the Merlin for power, Browning campaigned the aircraft through 1974. At the end of racing for the year, Browning enlisted the help of Pete Law and Bruce Boland, two Lockheed engineers familiar with the unlimited racing scene, to modify the aircraft for Griffon power. A stockpile of former RAF Griffon 58's from Shackletons were purchased along with De Havilland/Rotol six bladed contra rotating propellers. Boland and Law totally redesigned the P-51 from the firewall forward incorporating new engine mounts cowling etc. Due to the additional length of the Griffon compared to the V-1650-9, the firewall was moved aft by 9 inches. This also helped preserve the correct centre of gravity without resorting to additional weight. Although the standard P-51 radiator ducting was retained, incorporating front to rear flow instead of the standard cross flow modified the radiator. Even with the improved radiator, heat rejection would have been inadequate therefore spray bars were incorporated. At high engine temperatures, water was sprayed onto the radiator, intercooler/aftercooler and oil cooler cores. This explains the steam trail issuing from most race planes. Starting out with a basic Griffon 58 from a Shackleton, Randy Scoville, the brilliant engine builder who built the Red Baron engines used a Griffon 64 crankshaft because of the additional counter weights on this unit, and Griffon 57 connecting rod and piston assemblies. It was felt that two stage supercharging would be essential. Consequently, a Griffon 64 blower was grafted onto the -58 crankcase. Severe space restraints would not allow the use of the -64 carburettor, therefore the intake elbow from a Mk. XIX Spitfire was modified and turned 180 degrees resulting in down draught induction. A Bendix PR-58 carburettor from a C series Pratt and Whitney R-2800 was mounted on top of the modified intake elbow. Thanks to experience working with this carburettor, it was not difficult to reflow the PR-58 for Griffon requirements. A large airscoop on top of the cowling supplied induction air. The camshafts were modified by grinding the base circle thus yielding additional lift although interestingly the timing was left stock. The profile was modified to allow a gentler lift off the seat and a similarly gentler closing for both intake and exhaust valves. Fuel was 115/145 PN with water/methanol ADI (anti detonation injection). ADI was injected at the rate of 1/2 pound for each pound of fuel burned.

Injecting a water methanol mix is around.

http://www.aquamist-direct.com/

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/

or try DevilsTown - http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/

Peter W

Good find Jeff but appears not to cover lead replacement. That some of us (me) feel the need to use ???? Just in case.

Edited by Hamish

Peter,

This is drifting off topic a bit but may be of interest to your project if you were not already aware.

Water Methanol Injection.

Rolls Royce Dart turbo prop engines ran it to augment take off power. Let's face it the Dart is just two Merlin centrifugal superchargers in axially config powered by a gas turbine The water meth was injected into the eye of the primary (low) compressor intake.

Reading mtl. https://www.2473atc.org.uk/trainingMaterial/Master/MASTER%20jet%20engine%20propulsion/CHAPTER%208%20NOTES.doc

Merlin and Griffon piston engines had it also as anti detonation additive. (ADI)

Interesting snippet about Griffon engine.

The Red Baron RB-51

Complying with the hot rodders premise, there ain't no replacement for displacement, the Red Baron racing team produced a race plane that, unfortunately never reached it's true potential.

Based on a successful racing P-51D Mustang, Ed Browning, owner of the Red Baron Racing team purchased the aircraft in 1973. At this stage considerable airframe modifications had already been performed including clipping the wings and a highly modified cockpit canopy. Still retaining the Merlin for power, Browning campaigned the aircraft through 1974. At the end of racing for the year, Browning enlisted the help of Pete Law and Bruce Boland, two Lockheed engineers familiar with the unlimited racing scene, to modify the aircraft for Griffon power. A stockpile of former RAF Griffon 58's from Shackletons were purchased along with De Havilland/Rotol six bladed contra rotating propellers. Boland and Law totally redesigned the P-51 from the firewall forward incorporating new engine mounts cowling etc. Due to the additional length of the Griffon compared to the V-1650-9, the firewall was moved aft by 9 inches. This also helped preserve the correct centre of gravity without resorting to additional weight. Although the standard P-51 radiator ducting was retained, incorporating front to rear flow instead of the standard cross flow modified the radiator. Even with the improved radiator, heat rejection would have been inadequate therefore spray bars were incorporated. At high engine temperatures, water was sprayed onto the radiator, intercooler/aftercooler and oil cooler cores. This explains the steam trail issuing from most race planes. Starting out with a basic Griffon 58 from a Shackleton, Randy Scoville, the brilliant engine builder who built the Red Baron engines used a Griffon 64 crankshaft because of the additional counter weights on this unit, and Griffon 57 connecting rod and piston assemblies. It was felt that two stage supercharging would be essential. Consequently, a Griffon 64 blower was grafted onto the -58 crankcase. Severe space restraints would not allow the use of the -64 carburettor, therefore the intake elbow from a Mk. XIX Spitfire was modified and turned 180 degrees resulting in down draught induction. A Bendix PR-58 carburettor from a C series Pratt and Whitney R-2800 was mounted on top of the modified intake elbow. Thanks to experience working with this carburettor, it was not difficult to reflow the PR-58 for Griffon requirements. A large airscoop on top of the cowling supplied induction air. The camshafts were modified by grinding the base circle thus yielding additional lift although interestingly the timing was left stock. The profile was modified to allow a gentler lift off the seat and a similarly gentler closing for both intake and exhaust valves. Fuel was 115/145 PN with water/methanol ADI (anti detonation injection). ADI was injected at the rate of 1/2 pound for each pound of fuel burned.

Injecting a water methanol mix is around.

http://www.aquamist-direct.com/

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum2/vbulletin/

or try DevilsTown - http://www.methanol-injection.co.uk/

Peter W

Peter,

Fascinating, thankyou.

I used WW2 piston engine data that related wi rate to octane to get an idea of how much I need. The awkward bit is getting the spray equal between cyclinders without using 6 atomisers. I'll use two BETE impingement injectors at 150psi to give close to a fog sprayed where the butterlfy would be on the stock intake manifold. The proof of the pudding will be the pistons tolerating10psi + 95RON + 9.5:1 head. Pushing the boundary but thats what wi can do, add 10 RON. We'll see...who needs lead...

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Peter,

Fascinating, thankyou.

I used WW2 piston engine data that related wi rate to octane to get an idea of how much I need. The awkward bit is getting the spray equal between cyclinders without using 6 atomisers. I'll use two BETE impingement injectors at 150psi to give close to a fog sprayed where the butterlfy would be on the stock intake manifold. The proof of the pudding will be the pistons tolerating10psi + 95RON + 9.5:1 head. Pushing the boundary but thats what wi can do, add 10 RON. We'll see...who needs lead...

Peter

I am told.....MGB big end shells, which are wider than TR6 ones, can be made to fit your con rods.

Peter W

I am told.....MGB big end shells, which are wider than TR6 ones, can be made to fit your con rods.

Peter W

Peter, The bottom end is 280k miles old, never reground ! It has had several sets of shells.

The beauty of supercharging is the peak cylinder pressure is not much up on standard, it just lasts longer in the power stroke - that is if the CR has been lowered. I now plan to run stock cr so the peak pressure will be up. However for the same torque I'll be using a lot lower rpm. Hopefully the shells will stand up to my driving style - I drive it like a diesel. If not, I know where to ask advice first. Thank you.

Peter