Fuel Leak-PRV to Tank Connection

Malcom,

What markings/printing does your R9 hose have on it? see my previous thread #24! This is the problem Malcom I was unable to find a Gates supplier in the UK or a Gates UK Operation here! The 50 psi version R14 is for carburettor use but in my view can be used for the bleed back to the fuel tank. The original hose used here by BL was not re-enforced with any yarns etc. It was a simple bit of rubber tube. Its the 225 psi version R9 that I obtained from the USA that is required as well here in the UK.

Bruce.

Stuart,

Under SAE approval rules the hose has to be marked with the manufactures name, pressure rating, date of manufacture etc. not shown or given.

Therefore I would not buy as I would be suspicious of their approval?

Bruce.

If you read the Ad it says picture for illustration purposes only and the made to specs are clearly given.

Stuart.

If you read the Ad it says picture for illustration purposes only and the made to specs are clearly given.

Stuart.

There is only 3 companies on the QPL and I bet that they are not one of them?

Bruce.

According to SAE

R6, R7 and R8 are 50 psi

R9 is 100 psi

R12 is 145 psi

If you look at the Moss picture - "Not for fuel injection system" is written on the hose.

Regards

Charly

You are correct but Gates do a 225 psi version which is QPLed.

Bruce.

There is only 3 companies on the QPL and I bet that they are not one of them?

Bruce.

QPL?

Stuart.

HiBruce,

Thinking the Gates 50 PSI should be OK for MU & PRV returns?

Do you agree?

Thanks,

Malcolm.

That would be my view, based upon the original BL hose that was on my car? But I would use hose clamps although BL did not use them.

Bruce

Chris,

Lucky you heard the hiss.

I think the PRV return pipe goes deeper into the tank than the MU return, but I'm not certain. Might be tricky to lift it out with tank insitu.

Peter

The union on the top of the tank from the PRV return is 1/2" AF, flare nut

spanner advised, & will come out with tank in situ.

Harvey S.Maitland

As it turns out, you are both right.

The pipe from the PRV to the tank unscrews and is terminated level with the top of the tank but the boss that it screws into has a pipe below it, extending to virtually the bottom of the tank. So when it is all connected up, there is effectively a continuous pipe from the PRV to the bottom of the tank.

Actually, my problem appears to be that the bottom of the pipe inside the tank is blocked by sludge of some description. I'm going to remove the tank for a better look.

That tubing on the Bay is manufactured by Cohline in Germany. I doubt if 'advanced fluid solutions' would sell something not fit for purpose.

Dave

That tubing on the Bay is manufactured by Cohline in Germany. I doubt if 'advanced fluid solutions' would sell something not fit for purpose.

Dave

The Cohline 2134 is approved to DIN 73379-2A which is suitable up to E10 and super grade fuel as per their data sheet, so will do the job but the permeation rate through the hose wall is not given? The Gates Barricade product is in a different league they offer one product for Carburetion only 4219BG meets R14 of J30 SAE spec. & for Fuel Injection 4219BF meets R9 & R14 so can be used for both applications. This is what I have used. The permeation rate is 1gr/m2/day. lowest on the market. Multi fuel compatible up E85, bio diesel. ethanol, etc.

Lastly if buying Cohline make sure its their 2134 type, as they make many types! One hose assembler has warned me be very careful buying hose on the internet as there is plenty of counterfeit being sold!

Bruce.