Brake calliper positions.

there seems to be no exact rule of thumb in the mounting position of brake callipers.

Some have them mounted in front of the wheel and some behind.

Position also appears random, in that some are higher or lower.

Not being an expert it would seem that if the calliper were mounted behind the wheel, it would restrict upward movement of the suspension.

and vice versa should the calliper be mounted ahead of the wheel.

Or does it not matter in the slightest?

I have now owned 2 rear engined cars over the last 4 years and the first car had huge callipers at the rear, and small units at the front, this would seem to make sense with a heavy engine aft.

But my DeTomaso has the opposite system small ones aft and large ones in front.

Baffling.

Suspension is all about compromise - you change something for the better, you hope and something else goes off.

As you imply the position of calipers will depend on everything else - they can be before or behind the wheel.

Another factor might be, at the front - steering arms front or back? - rear - forward radius arms?

Very big calipers? Front brakes make 60%+ contribution so it's not that the designer wanted 'stronger' rears. Some cars have mini drums inside the rear discs, for the hand brake, or else a mechanism to use the discs for the hand.

Just guessing.

John

Pete

Don't think so ;) work it out it is in the cooling , trying to reinvent the wheel?

You can't Kid me I know they are circular all the way around.

and so is the other side.....................I think?