Kenlowe Fan-relay?

I have a CR car immigrated from the UK where it underwent an amateur (but looks, I think, relatively sound) restoration in the late 90s. Part of this was the installation of a Kenlowe fan.

The switch/light for it under the dash was swathed in electrical tape which I thought was to keep the smoke in but after having a go at the dash recently and neglecting to redo it all, I found that it was actually to prevent getting burns from accidentally touching the contacts whilst it's running...

I had always assumed that little box under the thermistor dial held a relay but given the amount of amps that must be going through those wires to heat them up am I right in assuming there's no relay and I should (now the blister is healing) get onto this?

Does anyone (Stuart?) know whats in that little box (circa 1990s)?

Cheers

MT

If you mean this:

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/autograss/fan-control-adaptors/kenlowe-adjustable-capillary-thermostat

In the original style I believe the contacts inside the box are actuated mechanically via the expanding liquid in the capillary tube. Because its mechanical you can't use the box itself as a relay - there really ought to be a separate one if the installation had been done correctly, operated by both the controller or the switch.

Hi Matt!

What you state suggests to me that your Kenlowe may have a high running current/resistance when it is switched on? That points to the windings in the motor are breaking down? OR the connecting wire size is wrong? S/B 2mm sq rated at 25 amp thin wall PVC automotive type OR the earths maybe suspect? OR the power supply is not suitable, they need there own, 30 amp relay/fused supply, direct from the battery? OR a combination of these faults.

Bruce.

The wires to the dash are skinny little things. I'm surprised the whole current is going though it.

Might explain why they're so warm though... Either that or time to scavenge a fan from the wreckers? Or redo the earths (again)

And yep Rob, that's the one. Will have to add in a relay and beefier wiring to the fan