Dashboard instrument illumination

Guest ianwright11

Guest ianwright11

Good evening,

This is my first foray into the world of forums on the 'net' I have just purchased my first TR6 (within the past two weeks) and am enjoying ownership immensely. I recently read on this forum that it is, 'hard to drive without a smile on your face' I am certainly still beaming ear to ear and long may this last.

My query concerns the poor quality of light from the dash instruments at night. I have disconnected the rheostat and by-passed the switch. The problem seems to be poor light bulbs, I notice that they are 2.2watt. Has anyone fitted higher wattage 2.8 maybe? Is this dangerous? Are there any alternatives? Any advice would be most welcome.

Ian

Hi Ina

Welcome to TR ownership!!!:)  I have a '5' that suffers a similar 'problem' to you - but as yet I haven't by-passed the dimmer, though it is something I have beeen considering.

I am afraid I cannot assist wit the high wattage bulb query, but I have a very good auto electrician in town that I will ask...

Best regards

Hi Ina

Welcome to TR ownership!!!:)  I have a '5' that suffers a similar 'problem' to you - but as yet I haven't by-passed the dimmer, though it is something I have beeen considering.

I am afraid I cannot assist wit the high wattage bulb query, but I have a very good auto electrician in town that I will ask...

Best regards

Hello Ian

we must have been typing at the same time. Let us know what your electrician says.

all the best

Hi Ian, a very warm welcome to the best Forum on the 'net.   Rather than using higher wattage bulbs which generate more heat, think about using modern technology - LEDs, you can choose your colour as well, available from Maplin Electronics and Tandy stores.
Guest ianwright11

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses, I am interested in the LED option, this will require further research in the daylight, I am sure this is probably the start of a number of 'projects' involving me and my new purchase. I am sure that it will not be the last.

Ian

Hi Ian

Most gauges have a coloured plastic filter behind the bulb and using a too higher wattage bulb or even a bulb which is too long can cause the pastic to melt or go a nasty browny colour which probably lets even less light into the gauge and makes it even dimmer. I think the plastic filter was blue on 5s and CP 6s and green on the CRs. It might be worth checking the condition of the filter on your gauges.

Jonlar's suggestion of using LEDs is a good idea but since the LEDs take far less current than bulbs you will probably find that the panel light dimmer will not dim the LEDs because its resistance is too low.

========

Tim

A few easier things to try before you change to LEDs.

1) Bypass the rheostat. It has double connectors so its just a case of moving a connector across to the other side. It sounds like you have done this already.

2) Ensure that you have good earth connections. Add an extra one if need be.

3) Remove the bulbs and clean them. Replacement bulbs tend to be brighter - I don't know why...

4) Clean the bulb 'sockets'. Spray switch cleaner on a Q tip or an aerosol air-duster work well. The instruments themselves aren't hard to remove if you want to do this more thoroughly.

5) Don't expect too much!

This is a recurring problem with all cars of this era. the old 2.2w bulbs are not very bright and they shine onto a white painted surface so all you get is reflected light on to face of the gauge. The LEDs are bright but they are very directional, all of the light is projected forwards, unlike a traditional bulb that throws light in all directions. Removing the blue filter helps as does putting a strip of aluminium tape around the inside of the dial instead of relying on the white paint.

Hello Ian

we must have been typing at the same time. Let us know what your electrician says.

I have just had a chat with the 'very nice man' - as already stated by someone else, increasing the wattage will cause additional heat that may/will cause the discolouration behind the guages... not exactly recommended?

Best regards

I've finally figured out why the bulbs were put in the back of the gauges, not for illumination, as we all so misguidedly thought, but as anti-condensation heaters! They keeps the glass from fogging up. The fact that they don't do this job very well is proof enough tha this was the design intent.

And we all thought Smiths Instruments were not affiliated in any way to Lucas, but by the idiosyncratic design they must have shared an office!

Guest ianwright11

[Hello Ian

we must have been typing at the same time. Let us know what your electrician says.]

Ian

Thanks for the info. from the 'very nice man' I am going to clean as much as possible and ensure all are earthed properly, as per Bryans advice, also replace the bulbs and see whether this makes a difference.

In my various recent enquiries about the dashboard and the fitting of a clock in the rheostat hole I have stumbled across another 'very nice man' who can cut precision holes in dashboards. I have his details should this service be required by anyone else.

Ian