Anyone got any advice/experience on restoring the dash gauge chrome surround on the later model (in my case CR) cars?
Have the dash out for some wood repairs and the black paint on the inner aspect of the chrome surround has worn away on many of the gauges. Any advice on restoring this? Paint type/colour/method/leave it alone and keep it chrome???

Thanks in advance
Matt the kiwi

In other news with this-the PO (DPO?) seems to have substituted the O ring seals with black rubber bands... I'm not sure whether to be appalled (worried) or kneel-down-and-worship amazed at the ingenuity of this!

I dismantled all the gauges to clean, paint inside and replace the disintegrated rubber gaskets. The surrounds I stripped all the paint off and thought it looked much better in chrome so kept it like that and never regretted it.

Magnus

I bought new chrome rings and got a professional model painter to paint the black inner cycle. Didn't feel confident of doing a good job so I bottled it! Not cheap but as near perfect result as you can get. Alternatively I'm sure there is a supplier of chrome/black rings but can't remember who!

That's not a bad idea. There's a Smith's gauge restorer around Auckland somewhere too.

Attempt 1 hasn't been brilliant & the more I get into these, the more issues there are...rubber band seals aside!

The original 'stuff' on the inside was a sort of non setting mastic..... That sets like concrete after about 40 years.

If you can't separate the bezel easily. With the guage face down just dribble some solvent (petrol) around the edge and leave it for a day or two. Alternatively if your feeling lucky <gently> peel back the tabs and pull it straight off.

I cleaned mine up with scotchbrite to remove the paint. Then sprayed with a satin black aerosol. To reproduce the chrome tip holding the bezel using a rotary movement polished the paint off using maroon scotchbrite. (Scotchbrite comes in different grades, green is coarse, maroon, medium, and white, fine).

The old mastic is now replaced by soft sponge rubber rings ....available online.

Had to google "mastic"-perhaps I should use Kauri gum...

Set so 2/4 are black dust and 2/4 are unopenable without near-terminal destructive force...

Am going to finish the revarnishing of dash this weekend (to a best-amateur-attempt level) & reassemble but plan to pull dash and gauges next time there's a terminal mechanical event (probably next week at this rate) and out source... If I can get an old, ruined dash I'll re-veneer in native kauri (gives a nice golden dash similar to 40y of walnut and ticks some kiwiana boxes) & best option would be to find some v old gauges to restore to then have in reserve...

At the end of the day, my standards are a tad higher than my skills unfortunately.