valve adjusting

The valve clearances in the TR workshop manuals are for a cold engine. When hot, the clearances can be a little less(doubtfull), but why should someone adjust the valves when the engine is hot?

On engines with exposed valve rockers, some people did adjust the valves with the engine hot and running : the valve clearance was right when the knocking noise almost disappeared.

Very good method of adjusting valve gaps if the manufacturer specifies a hot clearance.   Fords specified slave topless rocker covers to adjust the Essex vee engine valve gaps.    Only problems - can be messy and sometimes a bit "heavy" on feelers, good idea to use feeler strip if possible.
Interesting replies.I have always adjusted my valves with cold engine but when I check the clearance after a run, the gap remains the same or sligthly increases ( instead of the expected decrease). For this reason, I prefer to set it when hot, that is in normal running condition. Am I wrong?

Just rocker covers cut down to leave about 30mm standing above the gasket face.   The Ford engine had screws around the cover, unlike the TR although an old TR cover could probably be cut in such a way that "bridge pieces" formed to go under the holding-down nuts.

These "slave" covers reduced oil splashing and prevented surplus from flowing onto the cylinder block.