Crank end float

All

Will I get any meaningful figures/readings for crank end float if I'm not able to depress the clutch on my 6 ?

(clutch cylinder not fitted and car has been in storage for 15 years so expecting clutch diaphragm/plate is "stuck")

A quick check levering the pulley/pushing it back does indicate some small movement, but as mentioned, have not operated the clutch when doing this.

I should be able to get hold of a dial indicator but is there any point until clutch is working ?

If the end float is within the stated tolerances and clutch depressed will a noise be heard anyway ?

Any thoughts?

Regards

Matt

Matt, using the clutch is just a convenient way to move the crank. You should get an equally good reading with the dial gauge by levering the crank all the way back, set up the dial gauge and then lever the crank all the way forward.

Stan

Matt, using the clutch is just a convenient way to move the crank. You should get an equally good reading with the dial gauge by levering the crank all the way back, set up the dial gauge and then lever the crank all the way forward.

Unless the clutch plate is rusted on the splines.

Many thanks Stan - oldtuckunder - The Spitfire I restored last year had to have the gearbox out to release the clutch - it took a fair amount of force !

thanks again

Matt