TR7 V8 running issues

Hi

TR7 V8 will only run with choke or high revs, wont idle, does run but as you put the choke in it splutters you can catch it with revs, wondered if its electrical or carbs, thinking carbs so going to check carb O rings & diaphram. There is fuel at the carbs checked & fuel for debris

No pick up on revs when I spray the filter with carb cleaner, any ideas?

Regards

Phil

Definitely check through the ignition system - it's surprising how many running faults are ignition related rather than fuel or carb. Also air leak comes to mind straight away - a small leak will weaken the idle mixture significantly (hence the need to use the choke) whereas at higher RPM a small leak has proportionately less effect on the mixture since much more air is flowing through the engine anyway.

if the ignition checks out OK then we need more info about the fuel system - original TR8 Strombergs? SUs? Holley?

Hi

Thanks for the replies, car is on strombergs, as I said I wondered if it could be electrical, eg condensor HT lead points, purchased new carb diaphrams icase there's a split in them could be an air leak just wondered if anyone has had the same issue. Hoping to have a look this weekend

Regards