TR7 V8 Electric Fuel Pump

Finally got the Grinnall TR7 V8 up and running last night, after being asleep for 6 months - the car not me - and the electric fuel pumps sounds like a machine gun !!

It still appears to work fine, forces fuel through etc and the engine runs fine, but does anyone have any ideas where the noise suddenly came from. Is the pump just on its last legs.

Pump is located in the engine bay on the bulk head. Cheers, Karl. :(

A glugging/ tapping sound right? if so, mine started doing the same. Thought i had tappet problems!

Haven't replaced it yet, no idea what it is but seems to have run on for several months with no problems. i suspect it may pack in eventually or not give enough pressure at high revs but so far so good!

Not much help i know, but you're not alone!

If it is a Facet pump, then it works by using a solenoid to shuttle a ball or bullet back & fore in order to displace the fuel. The noise you hear is the ball reaching the end of its stroke. it is normal & can be reduced by mounting the pump on rubber bobbins (as supplied from new)

my experience is that it is a good idea to mount this kind of pump at the rear of the car where it is better fed by gravity. Also they are not very good at sucking (but will pump for ever) and if the fuel evaporates in the line & creates a temporary vapour bubble, the pump will be louder as it tries to pump vapour instead of liquid. This effect is also heard when trying to prime the pump from empty.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

The pump is a Facet one, and the fuel lines were replaced recently so I guess there may also be air in the pipes somewhere.

The pump is bolted straight to the bulkhead without any rubber bushes etc, so I will try to relocate it to the boot.

It also gets quite warm in the engine bay, so that can't help either.Cheers, Karl.

The best place for it, from a functional point of view is on the bulkhead below the tank. the disadvantage of this is it gets all the road salt etc on it. when it is here the fuel naturally gravitates to it, or rather any air bubbles settle elsewhere! Mount it on a couple of small bobbins to insulate the noise. A motor factor will give you these for a mini exhaust hanger if you can't get anything else.

Cheers

Andy