Hello Everyone, time for a "numpty" question!

If the voltage stabilser linked to the Fuel/Temp guage is not earthed properly, what will be the effect on the guages when at tick over/ out on the road

How do I check the the unit is earthed properly?

Sorry this is all a bit basic!

Thanks for any views

Nick

Hi Nick,

if it is not earthed then the internal switch will not switch and so allow all the volts through 12v in - 12v out.

This would make the gauges do all the wrong things - not sure what though.

For earthing, the mounting screws should short the body of the Reg to the car body. However I like to have a separate earth wire.

Have you got a simply multimeter - put the meter into the low Ohms range - touch one prod to the Reg body and the other prod to the car body 'exposed bare metal or a bolt head)

Roger

Hi Nick,

if it is not earthed then the internal switch will not switch and so allow all the volts through 12v in - 12v out.

This would make the gauges do all the wrong things - not sure what though.

For earthing, the mounting screws should short the body of the Reg to the car body. However I like to have a separate earth wire.

Have you got a simply multimeter - put the meter into the low Ohms range - touch one prod to the Reg body and the other prod to the car body 'exposed bare metal or a bolt head)

Roger

+1 With no earth on the regulator the gauges will read higher than they should, & will vary with engine revs.

Bob.