Rear TR5 Suspension Tow In

Hi all

Can any member help with regards to shimming for tow in on the rear of my 5.

I have looked at all the information regarding rear camber, spring height & shims, chassis to road height, 1 2 & 3 notch brackets, and adjustable camber brackets.

After taking all that on board I looked at adjusting tow in with shims. The copy of my alignment shows my current set up using the 1.5mm shims, I have now made up some 1.0mm shims for my revisit for corrective re shimming.

My question regards the 30 degree angle of the swinging arm in relationship to fitting/removing shims from the inner or outer points. Will the change in tow be the same by removing/fitting shims from the inside/outside points, be the same regarding the different pivot points in relationship to the 30 degree angle.

Thanks for any input. Dennis

post-6243-0-64905600-1449750601_thumb.png

Dennis,

Ignore the 30 degrees.

Looking at the diagram we see that an alteration to the outer shims pivots the arm on the inner bracket. That's the geometry to follow, because this is what the shimming actually does to the toe. Work as follows:

Find the mm you need to bring the front of the tyre inwards to correct toe-out, lets say it is 3mm. Measure the distance to the hub centre from your tyre measuring point, lets say its 250mm. Now measure the distance along the line between the two pivots, say its 150mm. Since the angle between this line and the wheel/tyre line is fixed ( of course !) you would need to remove 3mm x (150/250 ) mm from the outer bracket, about 2mm. Or add 2mm to the inner.

In other words the angle a shim changes the pivots' line is the same as the angle change of the wheel/tyre line.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold