Heater Plumbing with HS6 carbs

Thought I would share this in case anyone with a sidescreen car wishes to convert to HS6 carbs, & does not want to add an extra hole in the bulkhead to pass the RH heater hose through.

case 1. standard TR3 inlet manifold.

Instead of the usual rubber hose, obtain an in-cab heater hose - these are much longer. connect the short end to the bulkhead connector, with the long side pointing down, & towards the RH wing, then after tightening the hose clip, bend it up, & towards the tap on the cylinder head, cut to length (hose, not tap), connect to tap with hose clip, & job done. the hose should clear the rear float chamber nicely.

case 2. TR4 / 4A inlet manifold.

Having obtained, & fitted a 4A manifold, I found that the rear float chamber is now directly opposite the hearter bulkhead connector, & the fix above no longer works.

So new fix is to modify the bulkhead connector by sawing off the engine side pipe to leave approx. 8mm.

cut off an 8mm length of 15mm copper pipe (water pipe etc), & after cleaning, & fluxing both, soft solder the copper to the remaining steel pipe ensuring the copper sits firmly on the plate.

Next prepare a longer length of 15mm copper pipe - say 40mm, obtain a 15mm yorkshire 90° bend (or end fed would do), and reduce the length of one side so that it just covers the 8mm pipe on the bulkhead connector.

Clean & flux all, assemble the bend onto the two lengths of 15mm pipe, & ensuring that the bend is fully home, & that the longer pipe is at 90° to the plate, in other words pointing upwards when on the bulkhead.

Heat with blowtorch to solder both ends, I added extra solder to form a fillet around the outside of the bend to plate union.

Clean up, & paint as required (I used a zinc / aluminium spray can from Lidle) Fit to car. A normal engine side heater hose can now be used to connect to the pipe, & it should clear the float chamber by several mm's see photos.

post-12009-0-95751000-1508657001_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-30882600-1508657001_thumb.jpg post-12009-0-60550800-1508657000_thumb.jpg

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Neat Bob!

I have no heater tap at the moment, i.e. the heater is always on; which is fine at this time of year in the UK. However I am planning a trip to Greece next year (or maybe 2017!) and the thought of having the heater on there doesn't appeal much - although of course the additional cooling effect on the engine might be beneficial I suppose!

I have been puzzling as to why it was removed by the PO and (apart from trying to cool the engine some more) I guess when he changed to the same as you have he decided not to take up plumbing like you have!

Ben