It was the dire expense, I suppose this is to be expected on an old car.

It failed on two things. Rear fog light, and the wipers were insecure.

Well fair enough, the wiper was insecure, it fell off in France and has been tipping over in the rain, e.g. on the way back from the International I couldn't use them.

I went to Halfords, and sure, they didn't list replacement wiper blades - hardly surprising, I suppose. But when a chap said "can I help", and I explained what I wanted, turned out he had a box of bits and pieces under the counter with one bit that fitted just right between the blade and the arm, and with the discovery that the fog worked ok with a bit of matchstick jammed in the side to push it onto the terminal at the back, it got its ticket with the most cursory retest half an hour later.

So, I spent 30 pence this year.

I suppose I shouldn't be too grudging, it could have been worse.

Martyn, I am surprised your car failed its MOT, I must admit to being very impressed with its gearbox,  suspension etc during my brief drive at the International, it must have the nicest steering of any V8 engined TR.
I'm guessing that it only passed the exhaust emissions because the 'probe' the MOT tester used was so quickly coated in oil that it lost its sensitivity

Yeah interestingly, the test was delayed until I stepped in and did the "sit in the car" bit. So I got to see what they do, which was far more thorough than I liked the look of.

The emissions were interesting, as I said, there was a computerey thing which said "now insert probe" and I had to rev it up to 2500 or similar, and after a bit, the computer went "bingley boink - OK" for idle and revs, and then crashed with something about a memory violation.

I think they have a way to go before the MoT is entirely automated / computerised.

As for the handling, Chris, yeah, I think that's got a lot to do with the tall rear springs on the live axle. The gearbox works ok but has seriously deteriorated when revving as it won't go into gears when the synchro isn't pretty fair to start with.

The steering has always been right, I don't know a 7 with bad steering to be fair, but it is vital to grease them up, as I see it. Easy enough to do when you have a grease gun. Then the geometry has to be right, i.e. well judged KPI.

IME, the TR7 has excellent steering, it is a tad heavy when parking but once you move off you should be able to shake the back loose using just one finger pressed against the wheel swaying it from side to side.

This is, anyway, my opinion. I don't really grok the part where people say they need a power steering rack, they really don't.

Maybe mine is broken :)