Fuel link-petrol tap to glass bowl

Check for any burrs in the flanged end of the pump inlet where the pipe sits into. TBH there arent that many shutoff valves still fitted and not leaking themselves! Where did the pipe come from as I havent had trouble with ones I have used from Moss though I have used a little liquid PTFE when fitting.

Stuart..

I have had some problems in this area, but at present there are no leaks. The shut off valve was soldered open and has been no problem for ,many years.

The bowl end of the flexible connector was sealed with PTFE tape and has been dry ever since.

The copper connection from the pump to the carburettors was always a problem because the olive sits right on the end of the pipe and does not allow any pipe to fit into the pump. This year I managed to buy an adapter which seals the connection to the pump and then allows the pipe to pass through and the olive now works as it should. The short length of the adapter means that the bend in the pipe as it runs up the side if the engine block has to be a bit tighter than before.

This modification and an overhauled pump from DD means that this is an area which is now OK. I have other snags.

Good luck with the PTFE.

Richard & H.

Just a thought. There's about 15 to 20 litres of petrol in the tank. The petrol tap is modified! to be always on because it leaked. So how high do I have to jack the front of the car to stop the petrol flowing out of the pipe when I undo it? Any guesses? JJC

If you have that much in there then very high!. There should be a flexi section back underneath between the hard line on the chassis and the line that comes out of the tank so then you could clamp it off there.

Stuart.

A red top competition pump with leads and hoses will empty a tank to jerrycans in minutes, the safest way to keep that liquid gold under control!! Also useful to empty a car that you are putting to bed for winter. Also useful when test running an engine on the floor before all the work of dropping it in the car!!