Drove up to the top of Norfolk last week - all went well. Parked car. Two days later started up, & heard a buzzing from under the bonnet. Lifted bonnet & found the relay for my Revotec cooling fan was buzzing like an angry bee, & as a result the cooling fan was trying to spin up. Removed the connector block from the relay, and then pulled the connection to the sensor (relay coil earthy side) out of the block, & re-connected. no buzzing, so this indicates the sensor is faulty.

Jury rigged a wire from the relay coil to the car interior, & used this to run the fan when needed on the way home, buy touching it onto the gear lever. Only needed it in a jam on the Norwich ring road.

So, has anybody else had this happen ? Next step is to check connections to the sensor, & if all are OK then drain the water, & remove it. Don't know if I can get inside the little box, or if it is sealed, will probably have to replace it.

Bob.

P.S. Apart from that car went realy rather well, 35 MPG @ 60 - 70 most of the way.

Edited by Lebro

Update.

As it has been a rainy day I thought I would invertigate the cause of the "chattering".

Research over the last couple of days has revealed that to replace the in-hose Revotec sensor was going to cost around £70, So I was thinking

if I can't fix it, then I will go a different route, & get one of the "Otter" switches which is simple mechanical temperature sensing switch, insert it in the metal part of the bottom hose, much cheaper.

So, I re-connected the Revotec sensor to try to diagnose the fault, & it did not chatter the relay. Arhhh !

So now I dont know if it will go into fault mode again. All I can do is continue to use it & see how it goes.

Don't like faults that cure themselves.

Bob.

perhaps the threat of its demise was all it needed! ;)

Edited by Ben Freer

When my relay chattered it turned out to be a simple short on the wiring earthing to the car body.

Couldn't see the exposed spade connector (half of the clear plastic cover had come off).

R

Nothing wrong with the relay - works fine when manualy activated.

Short to earth of the wire from sensor to relay - possible but unlikely, however will double check this, & report back.

Thanks for suggestions.

Bob.