Vermillion trim and unusual spec for TR3

I've just bought a TR3, TS20161L, from USA. The car is a nice metallic blue, similar to Winchester Blue but metallic, with disc wheels and black interior.

The Heritage Certificate just came through, with a really unusual spec!

First surprise is that the car was supplied new to France, but with whitewall tyres and an MPH speedo I'm guessing it went to a US serviceman or embassy official who was planning to take it back to US after his term of duty.

Second surprise was that the original trim colour was Vermillion. Googling doesn't bring up much on Vermillion trim, except that it was a bright orangey red. My TR2 had red trim from new, which is a fairly bright red - so why did Triumph introduce Vermillion as well, surely it was very similar? Anyone have photos of original Vermillion trim, and know if it's available anywhere?

Third surprise was the comprehensive spec of this car. As well as the black hood, it came with a Blue hardtop, Fawn sidescreens, black tonneau cover, wire wheels, 550x19 [surely should be 550x15?!] tyres, Heater, Adjustable steering column, MPH speedo.

With its Winchester Blue paint, Vermillion trim, Fawn Sidescreens, Black hood and whitewall tyres, it must have been quite... er... striking!! "A carnival", says my wife...

Unfortunately it seems to have lost virtually all the good bits - it's been very nicely restored in USA but with black trim, and the hardtop, wire wheels, heater and adjustable steering column have all vanished. Anyone got a TR3 heater surplus to requirements?!

Malcolm

post-8648-0-60089500-1438432001_thumb.jpg

Vermillion is not horribly uncommon and quite nice on the right car. By contrast the red most often seen in these later TR3's was a darker red - almost halfway between the typical red sold by many purveyors today and Blackberry. Blue with vermillion or red isn't that unusual either but could never be considered common. Your car with the hardtop in place would actually be rather attractive. Fawn side screens with a black hood? Dunno what the original owner was thinking...

I have the title to a slightly later car that was originally Pearl White/Vermillion with a Sunset Red hardtop which is pretty close to Vermillion as far as paint goes. Some really neat stuff came out of Coventry - not all BRG, Red, White or Black cars. Other than the early colors (Olive Yellow, Ice Blue and Geramium) the smallmouth had the most interesting and unusual array of choices....

JW

Edited by jdwtrxk

Malcolm,

Car looks great. Not a fan of black trim but at least

you have TR3 seats, not 3A ones.

Surprising the adjustable steering has been replaced.

I do have a TR3 heater with most/all of the fittings.

Been in a box for the last 40 years.

PM me if interested.

AlanR

Thanks, guys

Very interesting responses! JW, I couldn't agree more about the colours that Triumph offered - a terrific range. I've been looking at MG TFs - contemporary of course with the TR2 - and the lack of variety in colours from MG was staggering by comparison - just black, red (often a dark red, almost burgundy), green, ivory or grey. There were just three interior trim colours - red, green or biscuit - and one colour for the hood and sidescreens - biscuit - and one for carpet - black. Triumph certainly captured the brave new world spirit of America in the 1950s much better than MG did, with a real carnival of colours. I haven't looked at MGAs, but I don't think they had more imaginative colours, I think they pretty much continued with the TF range...

Malcolm

Thanks, guys

Very interesting responses! JW, I couldn't agree more about the colours that Triumph offered - a terrific range. I've been looking at MG TFs - contemporary of course with the TR2 - and the lack of variety in colours from MG was staggering by comparison - just black, red (often a dark red, almost burgundy), green, ivory or grey. There were just three interior trim colours - red, green or biscuit - and one colour for the hood and sidescreens - biscuit - and one for carpet - black. Triumph certainly captured the brave new world spirit of America in the 1950s much better than MG did, with a real carnival of colours. I haven't looked at MGAs, but I don't think they had more imaginative colours, I think they pretty much continued with the TF range...

Malcolm

I agree and while I have only seen a few Geranium cars I think it is a great color and I bet that car is a bigger chick magnet than Powder Blue. Even the Magenta TR6's are getting more respect and many of them were strangled at birth back in the 70's.

Stan

I had a Magenta 1973 TR6 parts car that was painted Damson or some other close maroon when new or nearly new. Car still had 1976 tags so it didn't live long. Wasn't wrecked, either - just the sort of rust one would expect from an aging TR. Things we broke apart back in the day would be a great resto candidate today.

Colors people thought were awful when new really are special now. I'm a huge fan of Ice Blue and Geranium; was greatly relieved in the early 90's that 227 was Pearl White; sorta now wish it had been either of the former. Olive Yellow? not so sure.

JW