TR7 Voltage Regulator

Our TR7 has poor voltage regulation on the instrumrnt panel But I cant find a specific voltage regulator. Can anyone tell me if there is a descrete device or is it part of the instrument panel?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I used to work at Lucas in Birmingham in my youth so I've stripped a number of ACR series alternators. The voltage regulator is built in to the alternator. If you can get a look at a Haynes manual, page 111 has a very good exploded diagram. The regulator is a flat metal module with green epoxy 'potting' if I remember rightly, connected by a couple of flying leads. There is also a diode stack in there which might also give you this problem if one or more diodes have blown. Both are accessible if you remove the black plastic rear cover.

Good luck

Keith

Keith- 'Red5' is actually asking about a voltage stabiliser used to keep the instrument indication steady on some cars. According to the wiring diagram the TR7 does not appear to have one - probably the instruments are designed to be insensitive to supply fluctuations. If the gage indications are fluctuating a lot and it affects all of them, there could be a bad connection on the instrument cluster circuit board.

There is a wiring diagram here:

http://www.triumphwedgeowners.org/uploads/3/0/4/2/3042952/78-b-1.pdf

Rob

Rob is correct, the TR7 instruments do not have a voltage regulator & are designed to be self stabilising. One of the TWOA guys in the States did some tests years ago & found that even significant variations in voltage caused only very minor fluctuations in the gauge readings - less than a needles width of movement.

Are all the gauges affected? There are two flat connectors at the back of the panel, worth checking they are clean & correctly fitted. Most TR7 electrical problems are earth related so check/clean all earths (black wire).