Distributor compatibility for swap

(TR7 2litre 1979 )

Am having a back-breaking tussle with dead ignition and the appalling bad design of the AC-Delco disributor. Where the bits that wear are hidden underneath the centrifugal advance.

So it has to go. I came across this post from USA that suggests there may be more conventional disys out there, fitted to SAAB , VW etc that will fit the 7:

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,927261,927313#msg-927313

Anyone done this? It would be nice to be able to remove the disy cap and find the points to hand.

Peter

And which Lucas disy was this??

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,927261

" In North America, the early years of TR7 came with a Lucas distributor, but in 1980 and 1981 there was a European Delco distributor and..."

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Thanks Alec, brilliant. Had sent Martin Jay an email earlier, but engine comes out next week and hope to change the disy at same time.

cheers

Peter

Hi Peter,

son Tom has the Lucas dissy on his 7, reasonably well modified Sigma engine..

The new AC-Delco we originally fitted to his rebuilt engine worked initially after Peter Lander's tweaking, but soon enough started to protest at any attempt to go over 6000rpm, and was best kept below 5K.

The Lucas unit is fine to 7K.

Cheers

Alec

Thanks Alec,

Isabel will hardly ever reach 5k !! Its my back and blood pressure that the Delco is testing, severely ! The Lucas is a pricey swap but it should be cash well spent if it prevents her breaking down.

cheers

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Hi Andy,

Thanks..but I am averse to electronics - put it down to my age. Points are fine with me as long as they are accessible... and I can carry a spare and fit it by the roadside.

cheers

Peter