4 cylinder gasket- where does it go.

I am in the process of putting together a 4 cylinder engine.

In the gasket kit, amongst the bits I do recognise, there is a piece of white felt 8mm x 6mm trapezoidal in section about 300 mm long. I assume that this is the felt that the manual tells me to cut into pieces, soak in goo and ram into the grooves up the side of the rear bearing cap although the manual suggests I need more than this.

There is also a cork seal of similar section about 150 mm long. Can someone direct me as to where this goes?

Whilst on the subject of sealing around the rear bearing cap, is there a modern alternative to the felt/ goo solution? Loctite silicone injected through a tube to avoid air bubbles perhaps?

Comments, views appreciated as always.

Dave

Hi Dave,

the felt seal is surprisingly effective. Don't know of an alternative.

There is an alternative to the scroll oil seal on the crank itself. 3 or 4 versions of the lip seal - the original Fergie crank seal is coming back to haunt us.

Roger