I'm starting to think a new fuel pump may have been a better option.............

But I bought a fuel pump repair kit and I am puzzled, the old pump diaphragm had an oil seal on the shaft, the replacement does not.

I can't see any way of taking the old oil seal off and putting on the new one, It does however come with two rubber / neoprene washers could one of them act as an oil seal?

Second question kit comes with two nice new valves..........how do I get the old ones out?

All the illustrations show a screw on retaining clip for these valves, my old unit did not have this nor any screw holes to have held such a retainer. See what I mean a simple replacement unit at £40 odd quid would have saved much head scratching.

Any help or advise very welcome

Hi David,

don;t panic; OK panic life can be a bummer.

The valves are just knocked in to place and quite often stay where they should - except mine, where I had to drill and tap a hole to make a retainer.

Have you valve holes got any peening marks to hold the valves in place.

if not simply stick a punch on the other side (through a pipe hole) and give it a tap.

To fit the new valve - simply put in place and give a tap with the punch. However I wouldn't expect them to stay there.

As mentioned I drilled and tapped a hole between the valves and fitted a small washer that would stop the valves falling out.

Regarding the seal - haven't a clue.

You could have sent the whole pump to Dave up north who would have renovated it for about £40.

Roger

Dave Davies - £50 inc postage for a completely refurbished pump with all CORRECT ORIGINAL parts.

Makes a new pump (from the Far East) or a DIY repair (with Far East parts!) look like a very poor idea.

I posted my Italia one to Dave on Tuesday last week and it came back looking mint on Friday

PS. When you put the pump back in make sure the lever is sitting ON TOP OF the cam.

It is surprisingly easy to get this wrong and trash the pump.

I wasn't sure (it is a very tight fit on a LHD Italia!) so I took the spark plugs out and rotated the crankshaft using the fan blades while testing the hand priming lever under the pump.

Sure enough, I'd got it wrong and the priming lever stuck fast at one point.

Once correctly fitted, it will prime at any point in the rotation.

Hmmm

Looks like the best option is to send the silly thing on holiday...up North.

'nother waste of money......bu***r

Thanks for your help.