Bent rod, if the rod is straightened with a newly honed little end it will come out as +3 even across the gudgeon pin plane, then comparable to the others within a thou.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi Mick,

Good news! I've found another rod and it gives a better reading than number two above. This one is zero in all planes except the front which is +3 thou. So I will drop the rods off on Tuesday and have the bushes done and balance them all. The Pistons will need between 4-7 thou off to give me the 40 thou I need.

Next question: I've measured the CR at just over 9.75:1. Will this be ok on regular unleaded? Is there any benefit in rounding off the step in the combustion chamber like the 4a head? This would also reduce the CR of course.

Many thanks, Pete

Hi Pete,

I presume your head is a TR2 ? if so it wouldn't faze me to shave the combustion chamber a touch and help the flame front across it. The compression ratio for you depends upon how finicky your engine is likely to be regarding pinking. I'd be happy at 9.75 and maybe use as good a quality petrol as you can find, or even use a booster with it.

Just a tedious point, when you get the rods back I'd remeasure the piston heights again fitting them into the engine before sending them for machining on the crowns, never trust a machine shop to do it right. The more finicky you are about checking the more the shop will realise it may as well do it right first time and protect their profits, and if it can't do it right you don't need to be going there anyway.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey