I'm going to be fitting J Type o/d gearbox to my 4A. Has anyone a wiring diagram incorporating a relay? And what relay do I need?

Thanks

Alan.

The OD wiring is shown here. http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

Any standard automotive relay is suitable, not strictly needed for a J type but I fitted one anyway. I think the original relay, for an A type would be a Lucas 6RA. This should do the trick http://www.retroclassiccarparts.com/reproduction-lucas-6ra-relay

Edited by peejay4A

Hi Alan, agree with Pete the wiring is quite straight forward, relay provides power to o/d if either of the the two inter lock switches are earthed and the column switch is on. Any standard 30 amp 4 pin relay which is open in the non energised position will work. You could use a 5 pin relay (just ignore 87a pin).

Use the 87(c2) pin to the o/d, 30 (c1) pin for the o/d load feed, 85 (w1)would be the switching feed and 86(w2)to the parallel interlock switches via column switch.You can buy the loom or making one is equally straight forward, if you are confident.

Mark

Edited by MRG1965

If you fit a relay it's an easy job to add a warning light at some point in the future if you wish.

Edit: Actually thinking a bit more, it wouldn't be a problem either if you don't have a relay as long as you follow the late TR6 wiring diagram.

Edited by peejay4A