How a ZDDP cushion forms

Latest research using an atomic force microscope. More pressure makes more of a ZDDP-derived cushion, a self limiting process:

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-long-standing-mysteries-anti-wear-motor-oil.html

So 70yrs after ZDDP was first used in oils the deposition process is understood..maybe

Peter

To know that something works, it's not necessary to know how it works. Proven effect, under different conditions over the years has proved that ZDDP works as a friction/wear reducing additive.

But it's great when the theory catches up and we can understand how it works.

I'm going to keep using ZDDP-containing 20W/50 in my 6, and now I've some idea why I'm using it!

Nigel

To know that something works, it's not necessary to know how it works. Proven effect, under different conditions over the years has proved that ZDDP works as a friction/wear reducing additive.

But it's great when the theory catches up and we can understand how it works.

I'm going to keep using ZDDP-containing 20W/50 in my 6, and now I've some idea why I'm using it!

Nigel

Nigel,

They are chasing better additives I think, catconverter-safe, so need to understand how established ones work. Science is a top rank journal, the results must be important in the field, its not 'me too' science.

Cant help wondering how they came uo with ZDDP in the first place 70 yrs ago.

Yes, ZDDP forever in TRs !

Peter

As an industrial research chemist many years ago, in the field of polymers used for paint and adhesives, several times I developed improved products by simply changing the reagents/ingredients in a systematic manner and noting the effect on product performance. Some of these experiments led to markedly improved products and I could hypothesise why this might be, but could never prove it on a molecular level.

Some of these new products went on to major commercial success, as binders for masonry paints and as packaging adhesives. This combination of experimental rigour and a bit of serendipity could be how the benefits of ZDDP were discovered 70 years ago.

I was also party to some polymer development projects, where the 'big science' capability of an international conglomerate's research facility were applied to the development of an improved adhesive for ceramic tiles. Big science merely showed why the existing adhesives worked well but failed to improve the breed.

Ramblings from an applied chemist!

Nigel

Nigel,

Seen from a biologist's perspective chemistry looks so intelligible, so refined, compared with messy biology. Genomics has to some extent closed the gap, except we now have dozens of genes with no known job. And what was thought to be 'junk DNA' is now found to be having a controlling role, possibly in control processes we do not know exist. So its still messy.

One of my interests is in protecting the heart from injury in a 'heart attack' with pre-emptive therapy. I'm confident of what should be done..but there's no way of doing it. B***er. One day it might be possible, but there's no way of knowing what that breakthrough might be. There's far more serendipity in science than most realise, as I'm sure you found too.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold