A type overdrive solenoid plunger stop

My A type overdrive (TR4) is not fitted with a solenoid plunger stop, as I notice is shown for the later (TR5 on) cars. The hole where the stop would fit is not threaded. Should I try and make one up, as shown on the Buckeye Triumphs website, and adjust to the clearance shown in the TR6 manual?

I saw somewhere that there may have been a rubber buffer stop fitted originally - but these don't appear on the parts list.

The BT website suggests that the lack of a stop can lead to solenoid failure!

Thanks

Mike

To be honest Mike I wouldn't worry about it,the critical issue for the solenoid is the setting on the arm when it is energised. The issue about the stop that you are talking about (as far as I can see) is to stop the plunger falling below the grasp of the primary pull-in winding and therefore potentially burning out the solenoid when activated, I've got three of these A types and none of them have the adjustable screw fitted that the Buckeye site refers to and all of them work equally well irrespective of the travel of the plunger towards the 'stop'

One of mine has the original rubber bump 'stop' fitted and the others just have a small machine screw & nut in the hole (no idea if original or after market to make up for a missing rubber) but either way they all work.

Thanks. I suspected as much. I am pretty sure the other 4 cylinder TRs I have had didn't have it either, and they were fine.

Given the inexorable drive to save money it is surprising that this was introduced on later cars if not really needed.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I am a bit late on this but only just joined.

All the above sounds OK but it is best to set some form of stop to eliminate any chance of solenoid burn out.

I have experienced an issue with too much clearance. The overdrive was inconsistent in it operation. Some times it would engage immediately, some times up to 30 or 40km later. Rougher the road, the quicker the engagement. It was taking a bump to lift the solenoid plunger just enough to get it into the coils field. Fitted a stop and problem solved. Maybe a new solenoid would have fixed the problem as well.