TR5 "Patience " Re-build

• 1 month later...

Update

Just started re-assembling the engine. Here are some experiences.

1) Front engine sealing bock. the original ally one, was warped. Not much, but I guess enough to cause an oil leak later on. So fitted a steel version. But we found that it rocked slightly. The cause - it is not chamfered in the bottom corners like the original ally one. So, filed the corners very lightly. Also fitted the rubber type filler blocks instead of the usual wooden ones. Not easy to fit. We used a tie wrap to hold the top part of the blocks at each end, so that it would not spring out. Tapped into place with sealant, cut the excess and cut the tie wrap off. Need different bolts to finish as the holes are recessed, I will get some high tensile allen key bolts.

2) Had a poor experience trying to get the correct cam shaft. I wanted to fit a std camshaft. The engine/machine shop, supplied a mild Piper cam and followers and advised that this was correct. After a week of questioning Pipers, they finally confirmed that it was for a Carb car not a P.I. So I shopped around,. Went to several suppliers and also asked whether they were UK made. No replies, or wouldn't tell you. Went to Kent cams. No reply. The only supplier that came back with a clear answer was Newan cams. So that's what we have now fitted. It looks to be a very well made cam. On fitting, we then found that we couldn't get anywhere near the correct end float. The reason - the cap insert at the other end of the block had been pushed in too far by the machine shop and they had simply put the old one back. Not happy with that. So took that out and will fit a new one.

3) Trial fitted a new ally sump. Would not fit nicely, as it fouled (slightly) the oil pump housing. Rectified by filing the inside of the sump (not much) so that it cleared and sat nicely.

4) Fitted a new rear oil sea with a new housing. All good.

It all takes quite a lot of time. All day Saturday for the above and just goes to show you have to double check everything.

More soon

best Bill