TR3(a) Steel Hardtop (headliner) 'bows'

Has anyone ever fabricated any ?

To cut a long story short (ish), my cabin is very very boomy with the steel hardtop due to my (allegedly) Subaru-like exhaust.

Its needs ‘damping’ and padding rather than simply soundproofing as it is more about managing internal resonance than noise transmission

Rather than paint a bitumen like layer and cover it with liner as some have suggested, I got some of this from woolies

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1833-sound-and-vibration-damping-half-sheet.aspx

(This then had a thin layer of foam and the finished liner below.)

However, the sound deading sheet began to droop as its own glue isn’t strong enough to take the considerable weight.

For the next attempt I will be using copious quantities of Woolies own heatproof AF 178 glue (of which I have plenty due to a typing error !)

So, back to the short story, I was considering some ‘bows' to help hold the stuff up.

None seem to be available and when I ask for 'generic bow rods', I get no response?

Anyone ever fabricated a roof bow for a 2/3 steel hardtop and if so, from what?

It needs to be bendy enough to wrap into the edges, but stiff enough across the middle ?

Grateful as ever dear Sirs

Your humble novice

Thank you Stu

The guy I used to race with was a direct descendant of Willy Morris, I shall ask him if he can get me some !

Adapted by bending, shortening ?

I have one original headliner bow which you are welcome to have. It came with a steel hardtop which I lined with campervan lining carpeting which I spray glued in position on top of some 4 mm closed cell foam( camping mats!) this helps both with sound and heat insulation.

I don't think the original headlining would have been much use for sound deadening. PM me if you want the bow. It's not an impressive piece of metal! It's main purpose is to suspend the liner , keeping the fabric in tension.

Not sure where you'd get a headliner, set the local trimmer a challenge?

Regards

Bill G @ NB

Adapted by bending, shortening ?

A bit of both, If you get the trimmer to sew side to side pockets into the headliner to take the bows then it will fit in better and not look too out of place.

The original setup just used a single flat steel bow that was sprung steel IIRC.

Stuart.

Thanks Stu (and Bill)

My top had a circa 1" wide strap bonded to the roof about half way back, which I assume would have some effect.

As I plan to 'stick' my headliner flat rather than suspend, I guess it is a strap rather than a bow that I need to consider.

I think I need to give this more thought (and more AF178!)