Gearbox breather photo

I have recently aquired a restored 1970 TR6 with a J type overdrive which is happily dropping gearbox oil on to my floor. I don't know how much is thought to be excessive and would firstly appreciate opinions. I have not had to top it up in a couple of months but don't like leaving it on friends' drives without a bit of carpet otherwise they don't invite me back! It is obviously worse when things are hot.

There are lots of moist areas under the car so my next job will be to take the tunnel cover out and look from on top. I understand that the common lack of a breather hole can contribute to this. My second question is - can anyone show me a picture of where to look for this breather hole?

Hi,

I've just been doing this on my 4A - quite a few differences but the same logic.

Remove the top and see just where the majority of the oil is coming from - you may also need access beneath.

For mine I then washed the whole box down and removed all the leaky oil stains etc.

I then sprayed as much as I could with chalk - if you can get your hands on an aerosol of NDT Dye penetrant developer this is perfect,

You can then see all the leaks magically appear.

Mine is a newly rebuilt box and feared that the selector shaft 'O' ring seals were leaking.

But it turned out to be a stud down below that had a spring washer that wasn't sealing.

The speedo angle drive also had excessive oil on it suggesting a leak.

Remove any bolts/screws etc and reseal with hylomar or one of the Loctite products

The breather on my 4A is on the OD - cylindrical thing with a hole in.

Roger

Thanks for that, unfortunately i can't open the photos - I assume it is because it is an old posting when I was not a member and won't let me do it retrospectively. If you can copy and paste me that would be great.

Thanks

Ian.

Sorry Ian, I couldn't get the pics to copy. This is a quote from a previous post on this forum: The hole is ¼" in from leading edge of top cover plate, ½" to the right of the centre of front left bolt hole, and is 5/64" diameter. Some people have found that the hole is filled with a red resinous material. If not drilled, it should be easy to do.

Berry