Advice re buying a TR4A

Guest ClaireP

Guest ClaireP

Hi all

I have found a car I really like (TR4A with IRS) and seems in good condition compared to some of the others we have looked at but it has a clunk as you let the clutch up, coming from the back axle.  Does anyone have any ideas what this could be and how expensive it would be to get fixed?

Thanks

Claire

Hi Claire, It seams no one wants to answer your question. Probobly as it is not a simple answer.  I think you need to take someone along to look at car as it could be a number of problems. they need to take a trolly jack and a pri bar to investigate for play in the suspension bushes and drive shafts.

The cheapest noise would be the exhaust banging on the axle and is quite common as they never fit easily.

The  most likely is the drive shats from the dif to the wheels. The kit to repair this is £50 per side but it is a tricky job and I dont know how long it takes.

It could be the suspension bushes need replacing.

more worrying would be if the noise came from the dif as they are difficult to remove

it could even be the drive shaft (gearbox to dif)

sorry I can't be of more help

Tony

If you're not sure about the car Claire, then walk away. There are planety of good TR4As around and unless you know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it, it could work out quite expensive. It'd be a shame to buy the car and have it in and out of the garage for repairs during the (supposed) summer!

good luck (hope it's an easy fix!)

Adey

Hi Claire,

Any joint on the transmision between the clutch and the road wheels can cause the clunk you discribe. If the car has wire wheels, worn splines in the wheels hubs can cause a clunk from the back end. Agreeing with Tony, wear in the  drive shaft splines is the most likely cause, about £90 per side and about an hour for a decent mechanic to replace. A worn differential unit would cause a clunk,on taking up the drive, but would probably whine at speeds over 40 mph, the same would go for the gearbox and overdrive. Worn universal joints on either the propshaft or the drive shafts would be accompanied this vibration at reasonable road speed. If the car is otherwise sound, good oil pressure, no smoke, water ok, a bit of mechanical work is much easier and cheaper that body repairs :D

Regards

Dale

Hi Claire

I agree with Dale - I own a TR4a and most of the clunks ive ever had from the rear have been UJ's (Universal joints) 2 on each drive shaft and two on the propshaft.

The ones that go are usually at the differential end, which means taking the wheels and wire wheel hubs off, undoing the drive sahft at both ends (wheel and diff) and either replacing the UJ's - say £30 for bits and 2 hours each to do (say £30 per hour) call it £100 a side. the prop is about the same but is a pig to do unless you have a pit. I suspect that this is whats wrong.

the exhaust is also worth checking out as a malaligned exhaust can rub on the prop and clunk if you take up drive suddenly, but this also points to soft engine mounts or a broken gearbox mount - both pigs to fix and probably a day each to do properly. Also there is a large balance weight (on most original TR4a's) which can whack against the exhaust just behind the gearbox (its mounted on the back of the box under the bit that the prop attaches to and looks like a large circular teacup) - this is simple to fix - either tighten up or remove.

The drive shafts normally 'click' loudly when worn and often lock throwing the back of the car round if knackered - you will know about this soon enough as it leads to something else failing - I did this with a 4a and lost a wheel at 60mph going round a bend which tested me ........

If you are serious about a car and about to part with a large wad and dont have the knowledge necessary to go through a car - either take someone with you from your local group who will check a car over for you or better still hire someone like Brian from Classic Assessments (see this months Practica Classics) - he will give you a proper appraisal and steer you well - nice guy.

Regards

Tony