I just noticed that heldite isn't suitable for fuels blended with ethanol. Imagine many people's fuel tnak sending gaskets are sealed with heldite. I am fitting a replacement fuel tank with twin returns and am going to use a product called gasoila which is a paste - anyone else used it?

Snowy

Hi Snowy,

I use Gasoila regularly, but I don't really see the need to use any sealant on a cork gasket unless it's evo-stik etc to glue a joint onto a rocker cover or suchlike. Cork should swell and seal when it comes into contact with whatever it's there to seal.

Back to your question, Gasoila is good stuff, can's fault it.

Richard.

Thank you - it's to bond the cork gasket for the fuel tank sender - probably ott to use it but marginally better than fuel dribbles !

Cork itself is not recommended for use with ethanol-blended petrol:

http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/nene-valley/docs/Library/Bio%20Fuels%20-%20Ethanol%20in%20Petrol.pdf

(List page 6 of pdf)

So it will need a good coating of whatever you use.

Or, better in my view, find a polymer gasket, ethanol is not going away and we might get E10....

Peter

yep Peter exactly - my thinking too...i've tried to use ptfe hoses and metal to metal in as much of my re-plumb as possible.

PS Are you going to tell me that superchargers like ethanol.....or was it methanol !

R

yep Peter exactly - my thinking too...i've tried to use ptfe hoses and metal to metal in as much of my re-plumb as possible.

PS Are you going to tell me that superchargers like ethanol.....or was it methanol !

R

Ric, Blowers just love ethanol, or methanol. But methanol is terrible stuff to handle - toxic to the liver, and 'dissolves' aluminium rapidly.

Ethanol is a good compromise, but after the demise of E85 at the pumps very awkward to get hold of.

About 108RON, neat.

http://supertrarged.wordpress.com/2013/08/16/tr6se-14-ethanol-for-octane/

Its evaporative cooling is very useful when using an intercooler is forbiddden.

Yes teflon-lined hoses are fine. I shall be using them for E100, along with a polpropylene 'float chamber', joints glued with epoxy and so forth.

Peter

Hi Guys

I am about to install the ethanol resistant diaphragm to my A.C. fuel pump, bought it from The Roadster Factory cost was $60 delivered here in Spain by post. I doubt it would allow me to use 95E10 as in France as that may gum up other things in the fuel system e.g. the plastic floats in the chambers.All other hose parts are neoprene.

Can´t remember what I used at the supply line at the tank.

Dave