Carb Heatshields HS6s

I've been reading up on carb Heatshields and I now think it would be a good idea to get some.

I've had a chat with fellow USA TR carb man Paul AA and he has a set that bolt onto the manifold.

I was going to get those but .......

Poolboy, In previous posts, mentions a heatshield that bolts on the filter side (ARE Joe Alexander ??)

This type sounds more appealing.

Can you buy this version in the UK ??

At the moment I can only find them on US sites and the p&p is a @100 dollars. Twice the cost of the item

I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction !!

Steve

I've been reading up on carb Heatshields and I now think it would be a good idea to get some.

I've had a chat with fellow USA TR carb man Paul AA and he has a set that bolt onto the manifold.

I was going to get those but .......

Poolboy, In previous posts, mentions a heatshield that bolts on the filter side (ARE Joe Alexander ??)

This type sounds more appealing.

Can you buy this version in the UK ??

At the moment I can only find them on US sites and the p&p is a @100 dollars. Twice the cost of the item

I'm hoping that someone can point me in the right direction !!

Steve

I have HS6's on my TR6 as well, and while the Joe Alexander heat shields fit perfectly, they are not as effective as they would be with the Strombergs as the SU float bowls extend a fair bit past the shield on both sides, thus negating any shielding of the bowls.

Hi,

I'm running HS6 carbs on an uprated engine, with a ceramic coated manifold and the shields mentioned above by Dave:

(bought on ebay here... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm ). They go low enough and scoop under the float bowls and jet adjusters.

They are very effective, even in heavy traffic on a hot day, particularly compared to not having any shields at all. They are also well made and 3+ years later look as good as new.

Paul

Steve

I made my own heatshields for the HS6s on my GT6 many years ago. It's not too difficult to do with 1mm aluminium sheet. One thing I did was make each one in two pieces. The lower part of each shield which forms the return under the bowls and carb jets is attached to the upper part with three stainless set screws.

This allows you access to other bits and pieces without having to remove the whole kit and caboodle. Although I'm not sure there's the same space issues in a TR as in a GT6, so this might not be necessary in your case.

Alan

Again , thanks for all the advice.

The ones on ebay seem similar to the ones Paul AA was talking about.

Seeing as a few others rate them , this will be the way to go !!

I'll be lazy and buy them.

Steve

Steve

As I think I mentioned, I'm re-using the throttle linkage from the Strombergs. The mounting plate and connecting rods collided with the shields when I tried to install them the correct way (ie skirt down) Mine are therefore mounted, less than effectively, skirts sideways (front carb pointing to the front, rear pointing to the rear). I haven't worked out whether adjusting the mounting plate and linkage or carving holes in the shields is the most effective way to correct the conflict.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulAA