electric windows in a sports car???

Well its becoming a reality in my TR7, I found some SD1 electric mechanisms in our garage and decided they weren't too far off TR7 ones really, so after moddifying the main cog to go as low as required, and nicking the plastic guide off an old set of TR7 mechanisms, I'm almost there!

Now I just need some bolts machining up to attach the plastic guides so they still turn and some new holes in the door and it should all be hunky dory, I am doing the drivers door at the moment and then I'll do an article with the passenger door, have to work out how to do it first   :;):

As I'm trying to do this properly, being electrics and all. Any body interested in doing this conversion. As I recon I could make up wiring kits to do it for around £20 plus obviously the cost of some second hand SD1 mechanisms from the scrappy.

Tom Pringle

ah, well the spare rusty old door i got out was a drivers and so was the window glass, as I'm doing it in the garage loft first, with a spare car battery just to get the mechanics working before i get it in the car proper. Also means i can mess around without breaking my car . There is logic to my madness  :D

Tom

proabably just dried greese in the runners, had to clean and regrease the runners in all our old rovers electric windows right pain to do, too many electronics and awkward trim, but yeah I will have a look.

Tom

ok, I'm almost there, I tested the motors they work fine, I got some switches off ebay, they came off a late 80's XR3i, so ford relibility (is that any better then BL?). I've taken them apart to work out how they work and thus how to wire them, so I should have it all done by later this week. as all thats left is actually fitting them  :)
yeah I need good luck or summit, thought I'd have one done today but can't quite get the alignment right, starting to look like i may have to splice more of the TR7 mechanism into the SD1 mechanism than I first thought :( and dad wants some other stuff doing on the euroboxs tomorrow, so guess it won't be until next week at this rate.
  • 2 weeks later...

oi my topic  :P yeah I had to many other things going on, turns out the SD1 mechanism wont quite fit in, slightly too long, it over runs the runners in the window glass, my cure will be to weld the TR7 guides onto the sd1 mechanism, then there's no way it won't work. I think the electric window kits on ebay for £50 may of been a better option... Meanwhile this weekend i'm off to devon to collect a new outer sill as Ive been stipping off under the car and getting rid of any surface rusty bits, turns out the only bit of any concern is where the sill meets the floor, and seeing as the sill has a  nice dent in it I thought may as well do it properly then I won't need to touch under the car for a good few years.

Tom