removing starters

My starter is on its way out and I have long had it's successor lined up on the garage shelf. I have also long dreaded it looking at the clearances when removing from the top or the bottom. What are your experiences- remove the steering column first?

If you have a sport/ extractor manifold that will need to come off too! (along with the inlet manifold)

I'm reasonably certain that the gearbox tunnel will need to come out also, to allow you to get at the other end of the mounting bolts.

have fun!

Ade

Hi

You can definately get a starter out without doing too much, but you may need to take the carbs off to do so if you are running anything but a standard exhaust system.

the starter is only held on by two bolts through the bellhousing. The top one can be accessed from inside the bonnet, the bottom one from under the car. Not easy but can be done. After this the wiring on the end needs to be disconnected (but see above and make sure you have taken the negative terminal off the battery first and make the LT circuit in the car dead).

The main problem with a starter removal / replacement is withdrawing the starter and subsequently feeding the new starter in. You can do this in the 'standard car' by carefully drawing the starter backwards, then downwards, then upwards and out under the carbs. Some people take out the dynamo which means it can come out forwards, rather than upwards. You can also drop it down under the car.

Replacement is, as the Haynes manual helpfully says, is the reverse of removal except that it is much harder and if you come back in from under the car needs two sets of hands, one to push up and pass, one set of take up and shunt back and fore and to insert.

Lastly make sure you replace the satrter motor shim which sets the position that the teeth engage on the flywheel ring gear.

If you run an extractor exhaust you may have to remove the carbs and inlet manifold and possibly (subsequently) loose the exhaust system to complete the above. I need to do this on my rally car which has all the toys, but this is the outer extreme.

Regards

Tony