TR6 Chrome Sill Trim

Geoff,

I am sure Stuart will be along to give you an accurate answer, but I believe that all TR6 should have stainless steel(not chrome) trim on the sill with satin black paint below. I think from '73, the strip was made wider, possibly with introduction of CR cars.

Cheers

Graeme

As far as I know satin black is only on windscreen and rear panel (up to the valance joint). Some very early 6's had the body colour to the windscreen. The CP upto end of 72 had thin chrome strips at cills and CR series had a wider trim.

I decided not to put them on or the BL wing badges when I had the body restored because of introducing rivet holes and trapped water behind the trim.

I would like to know if my late (Sept 72) CP series is correct with a chrome trim to the grille and black bib spoiler. Was this fitted originally?

Edited by jemgee

Geoff,

I also noticed a lot of cars don't have the strip, presumably reducing cost during a resto? or personal preference. I prefer the look with the black and trim fitted and have considered doing it to my TR4A.

Here are some photos of what it should look like. http://owenauto.ca/tag/tr6/

Cheers

Graeme

Geoff,

I also noticed a lot of cars don't have the strip, presumably reducing cost during a resto? or personal preference. I prefer the look with the black and trim fitted and have considered doing it to my TR4A.

Here are some photos of what it should look like. http://owenauto.ca/tag/tr6/

Cheers

Graeme

that looks quite tidy, I often think when i see black sills that its hiding something but that looks good. I have it going in for paint work at the end of the summer and wanted to get clear what I want. thanks

Lots of restorers over the years have lost the original detail, especially if it came to them without those items from a previous incorrect resto or paint job.

Back in 1988 I just managed to prevent my painter painting my windshield surround black, as he insisted they all were black!

And when the Sills aren't painted stonechip black as they should be it makes the cars look too deep.

'Jemgee' what do you mean by the Chrome grill trim ? My early CP just has an alluminium badge bar the rest is black as should the bodywork behind it. And I recall the Spoiler was introduced in 1973.

Geoff I'm certain all TR6's had the stainless trim to mask the paint line. And, yes of course the Stonechip black goes on the bottom of the front wing that overlaps the sill.

Edited by Denis

Pic of my front. IIRC there was a suggestion somewhere that very last CP's were fitted with the top and bottom chrome trim to the grill and the chin spoiler. Sorry stone chip yes - but paint over in body colour!

post-181-0-91178400-1401652323_thumb.jpg

Edited by jemgee