Brake Warning Light Reset

Hi,

I've bled the brakes on the 7 and while under the bonnet, found the brake warning light switch was U/S, showing open-circuit whether the pin was in or out. With a new switch fitted, the warning light stays on, suggesting the pressure differential shuttle needs to be centred. I've tried this by opening alternate brake circuit's bleed nipples and pressing the pedal. When I had the same problem on a Stag a few years ago, re-centring seemed easy, with a slight click as the shuttle moved into its correct location.

The 7 is more difficult. The shuttle seems reluctant to move and so the warning light wont't go out. I've two questions:

1. Should the warning light switch be removed when centring the shuttle, as it is for brake bleeding?

2. Any tips for how to get the shuttle to move to its central position?

Many thanks for any advice.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

In twenty odd years of driving wedges I have never had this problem until last weekend when I changed the front callipers servo & master cylinder on my car.

In seeking guidance it would seem that the best advice is to remove the brake warning switch from the bottom of the master cylinder ( mine felt like the pin was stuck but did come out) and take the car for a short drive to centre the shuttle.

I still wasn't happy with the feel of the brakes from vacuum bleeding and until I was able to get an assistant the brakes felt horrible.

So In short Remove the switch and take the car for a drive.

Cheers

Ian