Gearbox Alignment

Hi Everyone,

I recently took out the gearbox, clutch and engine backplate to change the rear engine oil seal.

Started to put everything back, after a bit of a struggle with getting the gearbox splines to engage through the clutch plate. Then started to bolt up the bell housing, tightening the 2 dowel bolts first, then all the others. When it got to refitting the gearbox mount I noticed that it was about 1/2 cm to the left out of alignment, in that I couldn't get the bolts through the holes. I could do it by levering the gearbox over to the right and then getting the bolts in but it doesn't seen right to me.

I then decided to strip it all back again, so gearbox out, clutch and backplate. I checked the backplate was aligned correctly with the 2 dowels on the engine block and torqued correctly. Refitted the clutch. Gearbox back in. New dowel bolts at 2 and 8 o'clock positions, tightened first. Then all the others. Back to the gearbox mount and it's still out of alignment to the left! I'm sure when I originally took the gearbox out the gearbox mounting wasn't forced over to the right to enable it to align.

Anyone have this happen before? It's a non overdrive box.

Well done boys, forum is the dogs.